Svord peasant knife. A few mods! pic heavy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
*UPDATEd 7/10/11* Ok so first off this thread has been made to show the few modifications I've done to the Svord knife in one piece instead of little bits on different threads.

It's an old design of knife that works very well and for a price tag of £17 you can't really complain, that being said I personally felt the handle needed refining and a few tweeks to make it extra special.

The knife came looking like this..

SPKC5.jpg

SPK2.jpg

My first job was to remove the slighty splintering bottom tip so I used my SAK to cut away gentley and make it more rounded then cut a few more little bits off here and there that stuck out unsymetrically.

Then for a sanding down to get it nice and smooth and ready for some raw linseed oil. With alot of helpfull advice from people here I applied it by hand by rubbing it in generously and leaving it to soak for a few hours in a small linseed oil bath.

After the bathing it had I gave it another hand rubbing session followed by a rub down of the excess and left it hanging by wire to dry and soak in.

The scales in the morning after more buffing and rubbing..

NS1.jpg

A nice deep dark colour compared to the orange they were before.

The next step was to make the scales stay put once the desired tension had been discovered as the bottom of the scales would slip on the brass bolt and I really didn't like that!

So I got some thin aluminium pins cut up with my dremel and did my best to make holes for one pin at the lower end to fit into but without coming out the scales, when measured right this allows for the tension to be just right and for the scales to remain in place.

before the pin is put in place but with holes.
PkO1.jpg

after the pin is put in.
PKOP1.jpg

PKOP2.jpg

I did my best to keep the holes perfectly lined up and I did ok, this is the back end once closed with the pin in place. Does just as I hoped, keeps it nice and sturdy.

PKCP1.jpg

Now I had nice shaped, well oiled and sturdy scales I wanted the blade edge to be under 3" so it would UK edc legal if the need were ever to arrise.

But first I changed it's sligthy rough factory V shaped edge to a more smooth and cleaner convex edge with a rough whet stone then polished it off with diamond and ceramics for a razor sharp hair popping blade!

Back to the edge reduction.. I removed the lower edge as advised by a member here with a dremel stone piece, nice and gentle untill the right ammount was carefully removed.. about 5mm.

The blade after a wee grind..
PKBM1.jpg

PKBM2.jpg

The removed edge however could easily be resharpening if I wanted it back.

That may not seem like alot of moding and it isn't but it's very much usefull to do to the knife and for me has made the knife much more usable.

If anyone else has hints or tips on how to improve the Svord peasant knife I'd love to hear them and I know alot of people own these and all the ideas towards making them better will very much appreciated!

So heres the knife: a very practical, well balanced, sharp and lovely bit of kit to own and play with!

NPK2.jpg

NPK1.jpg

NPK3.jpg

NPK4.jpg

Thanks for your time and I hope anyone who already has or wants a Svord Peasant knife finds this thread usefull to them. Any ideas or advice on the knife, post them here!

Sam. :)

*Update* 5/10/11

The other week I was doing some more handle work on the knife and decided I'd like to put a spacer between the scales and then pin them, I got some 2mm perspex and cut it to shape but during the process I managed to crack the end part all the way to the bolt hole.. I was thoroughly p'ed off and asked on here for advice on how to either make some or where to buy some new ones.

I was trying to do this..

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

However one member very generously donated me a set of walnut scales he made himself! Brilliant chap, can't thank him enough!

Today they arrived so I got started with filing and sanding them down, good fun as always.

I will add more pictures/progress after I've oiled the handles!

So here are some pictures of the knife after a bit of work..

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

I also used some super fine 2000 grit sandpaper on the black of the knife blade to give it an aged look and with these fantastic new scales will look the business when finished!

I did take pictures of the scales before I worked them on my phone but it managed to get itself broken..against the wall.

Thanks for looking guys and I hope you enjoy the updates! :D

*update*

I gave the walnut scales a 2 day bath in raw linseed oil and earlier yesterday I dried them off over night and gave them a good rubbing/buffing this morning, they turned out beautiful!

here are some pictures for you all to see..

DSCF1317.jpg

DSCF1318.jpg

and put together..

DSCF1355.jpg

DSCF1354.jpg

DSCF1346.jpg

DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1351.jpg

DSCF1349.jpg

They turned out very nice indeed and I'm very happy with them!

If you don't have a svord peasant knife, go get one ;)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Cheers mate, I'd like custom made scales but don't fancy doing it all myself. Good bit of English oak would be great!

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
Great work. I have not been a real fan of these little knives but after seeing what you have done and how they could be, i believe I have been converted.
again thanks for sharing
Rick

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Good work dude, you were right about rounding off the bottom, looks much better now & you've transformed a run-of-the-mill into something special & unique..........well done.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looking good mate. Glad your happy with the scales. Did they fit ok?

Yeah they fit nicely, they are also fatter than my originals and I can now get a good grip of them for strong cuts!

You could make a good few quid flogging those mate, plenty of people would buy them!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That is what i was originally going to do. But the problem was they need quite a decent piece of wood, like some large knife scales. Nice wood costs money, theres wear on sanding belts and bandsaw blades, plus the labour involved. You would be looking at £20 a set for half decent scales, thats more than the knife costs new. I decided it wasnt economically viable and didn't bother. Those i sent you were the second and last set i made.

But.. if anyone wants any they can get in touch :D

Yeah they fit nicely, they are also fatter than my originals and I can now get a good grip of them for strong cuts!

You could make a good few quid flogging those mate, plenty of people would buy them!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ah ok, well the scales that you made are very nice and I'd recommend them to anyone!

I really liked the knife before but with new stronger better looking scales it's become extra special.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looks great, they're nice little knives. I wish I still had mine now! As for the edc bit I prefer to take it off the tip as you get more power cutting from the back of the blade but that's just my preferance. Nice work and the HillBill scales look lush.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
With a bit of luck I can join in this party soon but what other mods can be done , blades, different scales etc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE