Sussex Group Meet for November

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
After a fantastic weekend at Broadstone Warren scout camp near East Grinstead I thought I would start a new thread for next months meet. The standard text is below & will be followed by the standard attendace list in a new post; can you say what dates you can or can not do & I will aim to get it booked up by the end of October.

Location of the Campsite & details of the Venue
Broadstone Warren is a Scout site situated in the Ashdown Forest in the North of Sussex, midway between the South Coast and London. The site which is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) comprises 386 acres of the Ashdown Forest with campsites situated throughout the woodland in many of the glades.

How to get there
http://www.broadstonewarren.org.uk/find_us/

By Road
From the M25 - Leave the M25 at junction 8 following the M23 southbound towards Brighton. Leave the M23 at junction 10, and take the first exit on the roundabout along the A264 towards East Grinstead. When you get into East Grinstead, follow the A22 southbound towards Eastbourne. Remain on the A22, straight through Forest Row. Broadstone Warren is on the left-hand side approximately 2 miles south of Forest Row.

From the South - Follow the A22 northbound crossing the crossroads at Wych Cross (just after the Roebuck Hotel). The main entrance is approximately 500 metres after the junction on the right-hand side.

SAT-NAV - If using Sat-Nav, the postcode for the site is RH18 5JS. As you get close to the site, you need to look out for the signs as the same postcode is used for a number of local properties.

By Rail: The nearest train station is at East Grinstead, which is approximately a fifty minute train journey from London Victoria. When arriving at East Grinstead Broadstone Warren is a bus journey or ten minute taxi ride away.

By Bus: Bus services pass Broadstone Warren from East Grinstead, Uckfield and Haywards Heath.

Times & Booking In
You can stay the Friday night if you want, although the main meet starts on Saturday Morning & normally goes to late afternoon on the Sunday.When you arrive on site, please park in the Rangers' car park and check in at the ranger's office, then go directly to our pitch.

Fees
We have managed to get the discounted day rate of £4.74 (which is £3.95 + VAT). Please note that this is charged on a 24 hour baises , so if you arrive on the Saturday & leave on the Sunday after being there for more than 24 hours then you need to pay for 2 days. Sorry but that is their rules.

Pitch D1E (Near the main Buildings apparently)
The pitch we had at the Octonber meet was OK but a bit near the road. We will work out which pitch we want (please contribute if you have a preferance). This will be updated nearer the event.

What we do at the meets
This is an opportunity to meet some local(ish) Bushcrafters, camp out with like minded people & practice/learn some skills. We have had a handful of these meets before, some at other venues, but they mostly follow the same pattern. We tend to do as much or as little as you want but try to have a few sessions where anyone can take part if they want; these are usally things like different ways to make fires, carving, tree id etc.. We cook on the shared fire, often having a communal meal & have tea on the go all the time. We have a few beers round the campfire in the evening but tend not to stay up too much past midninght as others are ofetn asleep by then & we tend to get up early when you wake up in the woods, usually round 7 (although some sleep on for a bit).

The other important stuff
WATER: Standpipes are located at various points around the site.
FIREWOOD: There is ample wood for burning lying around the forest. Under NO circumstances is live wood to be cut or damaged. Chain saws are NOT permitted on the site. (NOTE: I have not yet verified the availability of wood, so if you have access to any, it may be worth bringing some wood or charcoal with you)
PITS: Due to the nature of the ground on site NO pits of any type may be dug.
VEHICLES: NO vehicles are to be driven onto the campsites or parked on the rides other than with the Duty Manager’s permission. On arrival you may be allowed to unload your equipment at your site after which you must park your vehicle in the car park allocated. At the end of your stay, after receiving the Duty Manager’s permission, you will be allowed to take your vehicle to your site to load up your equipment.
CYCLES: To comply with the Forestry Commissions Laws and Natural England, cycles are NOT permitted on the site.
DOGS: NO pets of any description are allowed on site.
NOISE / NUISANCE: As the consideration for other users is paramount, music players, radios and the like must not be audible off your own site. Noise must be kept to a bare minimum between 11pm and 7.30am. Unacceptable behaviour by any users on site will not be tolerated. Unacceptable behaviour includes: Bad language; Trespassing; Vandalism; Consumption of alcohol by minors/excessive consumption by adults; Illegal substance use; Setting fires (with the intent to cause damage); Acting in a way that may cause danger to self or others; Verbal, Emotional, Physical or Sexual Abuse
SECURITY: In the interest of security we would recommend that you do not leave any valuables in tents or buildings.
RUBBISH: Recycling facilities for glass, cans and tins are located at Camp Centre. Please clean all glassware, cans and tins before disposal. All combustible rubbish, where practicable should be burned. All other rubbish should be brought to camp centre and placed in the bins provided, or taken home for disposal.
FIRE: Fire is to stay within the main fireplace, unless people are being taught how to make fire under appopriate adult supervision. This is mainly aimed at kids, as we need to be careful where embers land away from the main fire for obvious reasons. This excludes personal hobos, gas cookers which are the owners responsability when operating.

* Forum members are responsible for themselves, the kit they use and their own actions (and any non member accompanying them)at the Meet.
* Under 18's must be accompanied by at least one parent (or appointed guardian).
* In the highly unlikely event that I need to make use of this ... I reserve the right to stop any individual(s) from attending a Meet. Any individual(s) who I feel endanger our future use of the site will be required to leave the site; outstanding fees will still be owed. This also applies if the site staff have problems with an indevidual. Nothing like this has ever happened but we need to have the standard disclaimer, like those found at other meets.

Hope to see you round the campfire soon

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Please add your name on the list below if you want to come AND say what dates you can or can not do. Thanks

1 Neumo - any weekend in November
etc...

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Please add your name on the list below if you want to come AND say what dates you can or can not do. Thanks

2 Kep + 2 , can only do the weekend of the 5th & 6th (at the moment)
etc...

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
3monkey boy (at the moment im flexable) ;)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
3 monkey boy (at the moment im flexable)
4 Hugo I'm free any time. YYeeehaa

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I thought I would get the November meet thread up ASAP as it gives people a bit longer to plan things out. Loved this weekends meet so we need to think how we can improve it. Several of us talked about having a communal stew at the next one, where people bring some meat (beef, venison, chicken, pigeon, pheasant etc.. ) or we could all chip in a bit to have a large roast (venison, lamb, a few chickens etc..). Let us know what you think on that. Will definatly do another loaf or two, as i am very pleased how the last one turned out. I have an idea on a portable 'saw horse' so may knock something up before the next meet.

If there is anything else you want to try or do as a group then please post what it is, so we have some time to sort it out if enough people are interested. Perhaps we could make a list of things we want to try & then do that for an hour or so on each one, such as flint & steel fire lighting or game preperation. What do you want to learn at the next meet?

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
A saw horse would be good, as for the food I like the idea of a roast rather than a stew.
Also some belly dancers would be nice, or would that be asking too much.:rolleyes:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
That was a top weekend - a big thank you to Neumo for putting it together.
5Neil1 - at the moment any weekend is good - but as always - that may change.

Sep 29, 2011
Worthing
Thanks again Neumo and everyone else who helped carry stuff for knackered old me! Great weekend!

I would be happy to teach people how to make mini gate hurdles from ash but I don't have all the tools at the moment. If someone could bring a brace and bits and some splitting wedges and mallet, I'll see if Mr Kepis can find some 2 inch ash poles (2ft and 4 ft long should do).

Can anyone advise as to how I should deal with the photos I took this weekend as I have quite a few?

5 Neil1 - at the moment any weekend is good - but as always - that may change.
6 Photog Keith - Any time at present

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Can anyone advise as to how I should deal with the photos I took this weekend as I have quite a few?

This is the official guide to posting photots in the 'How do I?' section; always worth looking here if you want to know something.

How to post Photos:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77526

I would be happy to teach people how to make mini gate hurdles from ash but I don't have all the tools at the moment. If someone could bring a brace and bits and some splitting wedges and mallet, I'll see if Mr Kepis can find some 2 inch ash poles (2ft and 4 ft long should do).

I have a Froe, Mallet, Hand brace & bits etc.. that should take care of most of your requirements. I also would like to make a 'cleaving break' for splitting wood properly with the froe, if anyone would be interested in helping me make one & then learning how to use it.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I should (hopefully) be able to get a load of Ash from a new coppice im working this weekend - keep you posted

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I should be free all month, so I'll definitely come this time.

7 Simon H

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I am toying with going up to Broadstone on the weekend of October 22nd/23rd to try out my new underblanket & practice some skills. I thought I would mention it in case anyone else was interested.

This would be seperate from the November meet, date to be decided, and would be a one off thing. Let us know if anyone is interested & I will put up a spereate thread if we get a few people who want to go. There were a few on the October thread who could only do that weekend, so I thought I would see if anyone wanted to get another weekend in before it gets too cold.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
bugger, im working on the 22nd, but might pop up for the day on the Sunday

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Yes, you can always come for the day or turn up on Saturday night, then stay for the Sunday. They charge for each 24 hours you are on the site, so you can do a night & the some of the next day if you want.

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
7 Simon H
8 Jack - fourth - sixth is difficult, but might get a weekend pass

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE