Survival Air Rifles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I'm thinking of taking up the air rifle,
partially for rat shooting at my inlaws farm, but also as a rabbit catcher if the world goes belly up.

It would be nice if I could get hold of a similar design to the US Airforce survival rifle, (it floats and packs into it's own stock).
ar7-3.jpg
ar7-4.jpg

or just something that packs down small into a rucksack.

something that doesn't rely on CO2 cartridges or pumps would be good.

any ideas?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i don't think there are any spring air rifles like that but air arms make a superb rifle called a TX200HC (i think) and is very short and one of the most accurate spring guns you can buy.
my mate has one and the fireing action is smooth as silk:)

pete

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Logun S16 pack down small, it is however gas but a single filling lasts a good while. The mk2's are the better but the mk1's are just as good just check the bolt is smooth, you shouldnt have any problems so long as you make sure the bolt is fully forward when firing.

Just get a full size one though, works for me and I still carry it on the bike over my back

rickyc

Jan 24, 2010
shifnal
Check out the Air Arms S410 TDR, packs away in a nice small 4 piece package.. i like the idea of been able to make a small pouch for it to fit in side a rucksack and not look so blatant!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hiya, my mate had a GUNPOWER STEALTH, he used to pack it down into a tool bag, it completely broke down, was very light, silenced, .22, pistol grip, sexy black, but it did need the buddy bottle to be charged up, to do this he used a large pump that looked like the ones used to pump out life boats! i was dubious at first, especially when i saw the price tag, but stunning to use and transport.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
or you could look as the crossman rat catcher, small but again, gas operated this time, think you will struggle to find one that small or collapsable that isn't. good luck, been after something similar myself, the ratcatcher is in the lead so far, i think you can get an extended barrel version that is near the rabbitstopper for power.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
my 2 cents worth: If the world "goes belly up", you won't have it collapsed, you will have it deployed all the time. Just get a standard Air rifle with as much pressure as your laws allow.

A Walther can be bought here that tosses a .22 cal. pellet an 900 fps. Or over a 1000 fps if you buy the lighter pellets. I don't have one but intend to get one.

stay away from the .177 if you intend to shoot rabbits, squirrels, etc. They just don't kill very well. Your shot must be nearly perfect to kill. The .22 or .25 gives you a lot more lee-way.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
If we've lost all law & order then you want a shotgun and a .22 rifle, and nobody's going to be checking licenses. But back in reality...

I've got the S410TDR and it's a fantastic piece of kit. It breaks down to remove the stock (which houses 2 rotary magazines) and silencer, although if you try to fire it without the stock it automatically drops the power down to pistol levels. It's light, accurate, great fun to use.

That said, it won't break down particularly small if you're planning on putting it in a rucksack, particularly if you wanted more than 100 shots, at which point you need a way to charge it.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If it goes belly up I'll have my .308 and sacrifice the rabbit heads to oblivion....

I have a BSA lighning .22 and it kills at 30 yards and is a springer. Can't go wrong.

That said it doesn't go out much since I got the rimfire, which doesn't pack down at all.

Oh and Raps - that plan I mentioned, it looks like it's ON!!!!

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I'm not sure an air rifle would be my first choice in the event of the break down of law and order, and I'd be after livestock before rabbits! Sheep, pigs and cow would be on the menu, deer parks would be my first port of call though. Maybe a take down bow or compound bow would be a better option, more power and silent.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Sticking to the confines of the OP I'd say there wouldn't be much that fits the bill. Perhaps a single- or multi-pump pneumatic of some sort. Simply put, spring (and gas-ram) airguns have to have a relatively long lever in order to cock the damned thing without being built like Charles Atlas, and the piston/spring/cylinder assembly just has to be a certain size to work. A multi-stroke rifle might be suitable, but the biggest manufacturer I know of (Crossman/Benjamin) doesn't list any take-down models.

Of course in an EOTWAWKI situation I reckon a decent crossbow would be more suitable than any airgun. Very quiet, no legal power limits, ammo can be made/repaired/reused indefinitely and you can kill just about anything wandering around our green isle with a decent broadhead (including any unfriendly fellow survivors who might want to steal your supplies). Or alternatively build a 'David' sling and spend between now and 'The Event' learning how to shoot it.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
You could just take the action out of the stock and knock the pin of the break barrel out to fold the rifle up, so a simple break barrel would strip down small, but they just weigh so much to make it ridiculous to think of throwing it in your pack along with the rest of your gear.

You could just take the action out of the stock and knock the pin of the break barrel out to fold the rifle up, so a simple break barrel would strip down small, but they just weigh so much to make it ridiculous to think of throwing it in your pack along with the rest of your gear.

actaully thinking back air arms did do a TDR spring gun the stock folded like a AK and the barrel was held in the block by a cam screw so quick to remove was a bit heavy tho and any now are 20yrs old my mate had one not to accurate either with teh removable barrel

ATB

Duncan

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Here ya go mate. You wont get better for what you describe( apart from the air bit) :D. 32 shot mag, 200 shot charge, fits in a brief case, full legal limit, fastest cocking time going.

http://www.skanar.co.uk/skanm32.htm

I had one with a longer silencer. I posted a pic somewhere, i'll have a look for it.

Found it.

2004_0409guns0002.jpg

Last edited:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If you want an air rifle to help cope with a **** situation then you need to stick to your original plan of something that does not rely on pre-compressed air or CO2 'bottles'. The golden rule with any **** situation preparedness kit is K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid ! :) ) If it can break it can be guaranteed to break just when you need it the most.
I'd say you want to look at getting a good quality, solidly built, break-barrel or underlever 'springer'. My personal recommendation would be for the tried, tested, and trusted Weihrauch HW80. Yes, they're heavy, but that's because they're built like a brick whotnot. They're a full power rifle (just shy of the 12ft/lbs limit for unlicenced rifles) and they work... and work... and work. There is just so little that can go wrong with a springer that you can rely on one to work when you need it to far more than any other type of air rifle IMO.

As ever, if you're only just taking up the sport. Get yourself a selection of pellets. Find which suit your rifle best and stick with them while you practice, practice, and then practice more. Until you can settle your shots all into a 1" diameter circle at your hunting range you are not ready or able to make clean, efficient and humane kills on anything.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Until the world does go udders up may I assume these neatly packed (concealed) 12ft/lb bits of kit are being transported to a place of use and deployed with landowner consent?

For the record I believe that concealment is a good thing in terms of ensuring you do not 'advertise" what you a transporting but there is need for those less familiar with the laws of this land to understand how easily they might find themselves in a pile of the blanket sticking stuff if simply popping an air rifle into their kit bag when off for a ramble.

Cheers

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
a US Airforce survival air rifle would get my £

would love a .22 just cant justify ownership at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE