Sunny Sussex Sunday wander

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sunday in Sussex was classic Autumn, low golden sun with browns, yellows, and greens. We decided to take the dogs up the road to Petworth Park, a classic English deer park with ancient Chestnut trees and rutting deer. For some reason, we didn’t see a single deer, they may be off in another part of the park, I’m not sure because I see them every year but I didn’t hear a single roar. But I’ve never seen so many Parasol and Shaggy Parasols before, I could have picked hundreds. The Chestnuts seem very small this year unfortunately, but the conkers are huge.

Pics aren’t great, but you’ll get the idea. The Opinel has never cut a mushroom in the 4 or 5 years I’ve had it by the way. When, if, I ever find Ceps, then it will. :)

C1-E3-B3-B8-56-FE-47-BF-859-E-CC83-EB9215-E5.jpg

93405165-CD39-418-A-8-A46-628710-BFBD0-C.jpg

Arty shot, Chestnut stump and unidentified mushrooms.

BA459-FB6-DEB2-4-E46-920-A-1-E58-D5912-F7-B.jpg

Autumn pic.

EEBBDB58-506-A-4-CB1-BDAE-15-C79759-A84-E.jpg

Lots of Parasols. I’ve been coming to this park for years and never seen so many.

0-A9-D274-C-7671-434-F-810-E-99-ED3-E980741.jpg

Reactions: Kepis and Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
A nice walk. My next door neighbour has had a few parasols appear on his front lawn over the last week. (I've been away working so didn't notice until last night!) I may knock on his door and see if he would mind if I had them.....

It also appears I was near petworth as well.... well, Haslemere. So near enough!
Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
The parasols have been great around my way this year and I've lucked out on the ceps too. I usually find one or two that are too far gone to pick but this year I've had a kilo! Parasols dry pretty well.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I didn’t pick any. I’ve had them before and I thought they were a bit disappointing, three huge ones disappeared to nothing in the pan. Lovely to see so many though.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The best way to cook them is to do them like a schnitzel.
Remove and throw away foot.
(Flour), beaten egg, breadcrumbs.
Oil/ butter 50/50.

A dab of Sauce Tartare is nice with. German style pickled gherkin.
Steamed potatoes. Beer.

Very popular dish in Central Europe.

Last edited:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I didn’t pick any. I’ve had them before and I thought they were a bit disappointing, three huge ones disappeared to nothing in the pan. Lovely to see so many though.
They're not the best but when they are free and abundant... I usually only pick the unopened ones and dry them, then just add them to stews and such. I managed to find another five ceps today too. I always take a weeks holiday in October to forage and enjoy the outdoors and I've lucked out this year.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It also appears I was near petworth as well.... well, Haslemere. So near enough!

Missed this one, apologies. If you ever find yourself down this way, feel free to use our place as a Brit Stop type thing and park on the drive. Facilities include water, beer, bacon sarnie, half decent coffee. :) Haslemere is about 20 mins north of us, we’re in Singleton. It’s a lovely valley with Goodwood Racecourse up on The Downs, the aerodrome where they fly the Spitfires is just over the hill which also has the motor circuit where Stirling Moss had his career ending accident in 1962. And I can quiz you about vanlife, like diesel air heater fitting. :D

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Missed this one, apologies. If you ever find yourself down this way, feel free to use our place as a Brit Stop type thing and park on the drive. Facilities include water, beer, bacon sarnie, half decent coffee. :) Haslemere is about 20 mins north of us, we’re in Singleton. It’s a lovely valley with Goodwood Racecourse up on The Downs, the aerodrome where they fly the Spitfires is just over the hill which also has the motor circuit where Stirling Moss had his career ending accident in 1962. And I can quiz you about vanlife, like diesel air heater fitting. :D
Haha! Careful I may take you up on that offer!!! I get about. A bit of work can see me just about anywhere.... happy to talk about vans and #vanlife, especially over a local cask ale!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE