Sunglasses help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Can anyone recommend uv protection glasses that will suit being out and about please?

I've been advised to use protection at my last visit to the optician.

I've never really used them before and am perplexed with the range available.

Don't want to spend too much on them.

Thanks.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm asking for recommendations on brands/models that'll stand up to use in the outdoors, the optician merely advised on lens type.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I use Oakleys for walking, cycling, driving, general purpose wear. They are not cheap but they do a fantastic job for me. They just sit on my face comfortably, don't fall off even when I run or bike. Beware of fakes though, they are a popular target for the scammers.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oakley's are extremely good. They are the only firm I know that will fit prescription lenses to the wrap around, face fitting, curved lens sunglasses. Far from cheap for their premium products but tough.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Afternoon,

It would depend on what you're going to be doing with them. Depending on expected conditions different grades of protection and coatings might come into it. For general use I'd probably go for a category 2 lens as it'll cover most things and it's legal to drive in them. Cat 4 is illegal to drive in but you'd need them at altitude or on some high reflective surfaces like water or snow on a bright day. I generally go for a polarised Cat 2 or 3 as they do me for most stuff. Tend to shy away from mirrored finishes as they can scratch easily. My most often used lenses are Oakley VR28 Polarised lenses or my equivalent Cebe's (the later being much more affordable) You can also get glasses with interchangeable lenses to suit the conditions you are in at the time something like the Cebe Cinkik comes either with different lenses or with photochromatic ones. I'd stay away from "hookie" sunglasses as they often are dark but don't stop sufficient UV and as they cause the eyes to open up they allow more harmful light in to damage the inner eye - why you shouldn't put non CE marked glasses on kids.
If you want more info give me a shout but as said your optician should be able to give you good advice or a decent outdoor shop or gun shop - though the prices tend to go up in the latter!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
ESS started the ball rolling with the insert lense frame for their goggle/glasses. Chat to your optician regarding outdoor frames. My Raybans were costly in 2005, they helped with driving all year round. Since my prescription improved they are foggy/unfocused compared to my new clear lense. Not every frame is expensive.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Aye, think cat 4 would be overkill and as you say cat 2 to use in the car would prob' be best option

Just looking for what folks have used that stand up to outdoor rigours daily

Last edited:

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Many, many years of Oakley use from me Tam. Pricey but good, many different designs to choose from. I've also had Julbo glacier glasses, again good but they were only used for mountaineering not everyday use.
Most of the time out and about I'm using Wiley-X's, ones with the removable gasket, slightly goggle like with it fitted and really good for keeping the wind out.
Get a decent case, the most important thing is to take care of them, especially if you splashed big cash!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I find if you spend on a good quality pair they are not only better quality but you tend to look after them.
Have been a bolle fan for years.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've tried Oakleys and found them to be OK; I reckon that Maui Jim's lenses are better, though, and they come in a wide variety of frames. Pricey but very definitely worth it.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Bear in mind that you don't need dark lenses to filter out the UV, you can get almost clear lenses that still take out almost all of the UV. Check the specifications of the lenses when you buy.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I recently got new specs with Transition lenses and I'm well impressed with them, they offer good UV protection and go clear to dark in seconds. The lenses themselves are not that expensive; the frames will cost more than they do. Most opticians sell 'wrap around' frames if you want that style and I was told I needed UV protection this year, certainly for driving so I got a dandy set of Ted Baker frames and they are great; not wrap around style but good size lenses giving good protection.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have worn the transition lenses for a few years and rate them highly. I even had some Sun glasses made up with a Polaroid coating to help cut the glare out especially around water.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As far as I remember even clear polycarbonate lenses filter out UV light. Pretty much what Adze and Cranmere said^.

Pretty much any safety specs do the job just as well as the posh Oakleys and when you scratch them you just put another pair on that cost a fiver.

All that "Thermonuclear protection" stuff is just advertising guff for suckers. Bolle make good ones also, De-Walt make good ones. You can also get prescription lenses on safety specs without blowing a hundred notes as well. Pretty much any welding supplies shop sells great safety specs which enough people use for mountain biking and so on.

Personally I like the safety specs (I often have to wear them at work and have tried quite a lot) with the yellow lenses. I call em Monday Morning Specs cos they make a cloudy day look a lot brighter.

Be aware that the specs with the straight arms let the ends of the arms rub against the rear of the lenses and that's the bit that isn't scratch resistant (front of the lens is scratch resistant).

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Had the same question for ages Tam, best and cheapest option. Daily disposable contact lenses dude. £33 for 30 pairs, can use them when fishing, shoting, walking etc and don't need tae bother about rain on my specs. Cheap pair of nearly indestructable polarised sunglasses and yer laughing. Should have done it years ago. Plus, they give ye a good few pairs away with ye for free to make sure yer ok with them. Give them a shot, not gonna cost ye anything bud ;) Plus, might have some spare sunglasses kickin about if ye need a pair. Plus, these are cool if ye need saftey specs and wear contacts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161466204928?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I've got a a bit of a thing for sunglasses, and have RayBans, Maui Jim, Serengeti and Oakleys.

The best lenses I have are in the Serengeti's, but they are quire heavy and not suitable for "activities". For cycling/walking etc I tend to use the Oakleys. I have Flak Jackets with XLJ (bigger lenses) which I find have excellent eye coverage and are extremely comfortable. The lenses are removable so you can change for lighter or darker tint, photochromatic, polarised etc. I can't recommend these highly enough, planning to treat myself to some polarised lenses before I go to Antigua this spring...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yep, Fly fishermen appreciate good lenses.
Ive had a couple of pairs serengentis, [now owned by bushnell] very good. Although the very small screws came loose on one of mine, and I sent them back in. Replaced under warranty no problem, next time it happened, I asked bushnell for a credit note and got a bushnell trail cam instead. Really meant for driving and not spending hours in rivers]
Oakleys, average, I've broken 3 pairs. I dont trust the plastic clips on the arms, where they clip to the frames.
Maui Jims. Excellent. [From Hawaii]
Costa Del Mar. Excellent.

If you keep your eye on gumtree, Maui Jims sometimes come up really cheap. [I got a new pair worth £130 for £30 with the hardcase]

A cheap pair of polaroids for a tenner will protect your eyes, they are the original polarised glasses.

If yure not that fussy, TK maxx occasionaly stock pretty good polarised glasses, in the summertime, but they go quickly.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE