Summer wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
After spending a week wandering the open fells and hills of Northumberland a week or so ago, I repacked my gear and headed to the solitude of a Sussex woodland. When I left home on the coast it was 28 degrees Celsius and the local beaches were strewn with cooking oily bodies..;)

In the wood it was cool with the strong sunlight filtered through the leaves giving a pale green hue to everything.

sgjHNmOl.jpg

Home for a few nights..

smrl7Jxl.jpg

Intent on looking up to check for potentially dangerous dead/likely to fall branches, I confess I missed this little Oak seedling and then realised fire heat would do him no good at all, so he got a 'Fireguard' of dead stick and bark...:D

vXbf1yJl.jpg

Smoke in the wood.

IDcR3eHl.jpg

Sammy Squirrel and me are going to fall out I'm afraid, unless him and his oppos stop munching every tree that takes their fancy...Bark strips everywhere.

V3EvOagl.jpg

And stripped upper branches..

yxl9Ljml.jpg

NtMcEWLl.jpg

Other woodland folk are much better behaved. This Fox cub came visiting just as the light faded the second night.

j77R8lbl.jpg

Bright eyes..:D

8mFlYOgl.jpg

I know where his Earth is, and I heard his Mother screaming her mating call just after Yule, when the tent was white with frost under the Moon and the stream in the wood was frozen solid. I saw her the other evening too, but too slow with the camera..

Living the high life...

SUkdhd2l.jpg

But if the porridge gets burned again..I shall sack the cook..

AfRkrmfl.jpg

By day the Deer in their Summer coats appear silently like ghosts between the trees.

o9kZ1rml.jpg

0OZgV6rl.jpg

This great Beech has a Bracket fungus growing at the base of her ancient trunk. I noticed it shed smoke like spores every time the breeze blew. I couldn't capture them airbourne but the surrounding area was rust brown with their spread.

3gu8wY7l.jpg

mjPU9NLl.jpg

Four nights and time to return, briefly, to the World.
And the little Oak seedling? He's fine, and I gave him a cool drink before I packed out of the wood...;)

NiVBzOBl.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE