Summer BushMoot - From Jersey?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of making the trip over from Jersey to make it the Summer BushMoot.

Having trouble figuring out the best / cheapest way to get there tho.

Looks like I'll have to fly into Cardiff International Airport on the 27th, but from then on i'm using Google Maps to figure out the best way to get to Merthyr Mawr.

If i do fly, then I'll be wanting to bring my kit with me but will they be funny if I have knives in my bag.. obviously they're going to put it in the cargo hold but wills till let it on? Also worried that some of it will get robbed from the bag if it's out of my sight. :sigh:
I was thinking if i did that, then getting a PacSafe around it for the trip?
http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=48

Google Maps seems to think it's only "18.8 miles (about 30 mins) ", but that's in a car.
I was thinking I could get a train to Bridgend ( Google maps thinks there's no train station at the Airport tho.. surely not?), then taxi to the site or something?
Or Taxi it all the way there?
( I'm not too sure how much things like taxi's cost over there, 30 mins taxi here will cost you about £35.. we're only 9 x 5 miles)

Any way, anyone got any tips or info that would help me sort it out?

Cheers :puppy_dog
Carlo

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
If i do fly, then I'll be wanting to bring my kit with me but will they be funny if I have knives in my bag.. obviously they're going to put it in the cargo hold but wills till let it on? Also worried that some of it will get robbed from the bag if it's out of my sight.
I was thinking if i did that, then getting a PacSafe around it for the trip?
http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...n=detail&id=48

you should have no trouble with knives in your hold luggage, and it is very unlikey that anything will get stolen from you bag on an internal flight.

Google Maps seems to think it's only "18.8 miles (about 30 mins) ", but that's in a car. I was thinking I could get a train to Bridgend ( Google maps thinks there's no train station at the Airport tho.. surely not?), then taxi to the site or something?

30minutes by car from the airport sounds about right, there is a train station now (only just built), its a couple of miles from the airport but there is a shuttle bus to it.

you should then be able to get the train to bridgend and a taxi from bridgend to myther mawr

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Cheers guys,
I've been offered a lift to the Moot from the Airport by some kind person, that's even better! :)

I might go up to the Airport and check with them about the knife situation, I'm sure it's fine but over here they're a bit more funny / picky about things... I don't' want to pack everything up, get there on the day to go and then they pull me up for having it in my hold luggage.

Usually not worried about things going missing from my luggage.
Thinking only because I'll be putting the rucksack in hold this time (usually always with me), and with all those easily accessible zipped pockets, it would seem an easy target to have a little look through and pick out some stuff.

Cheers guys :)
Carlo

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
RIGHT!
All booked up.. look out Wales the Island boy if leaving his Tax haven! :)

Phoned up the Airport and they confirmed that knives and axes are all fine as long as they are all checked into hold luggage.
I explained what it was for (told them a Bushcraft course) and the ladie was really interested in it :)
She did suggest that I bring along some kind of information about what a "Bushcraft course" consisted of, to help explain if anyone wanted further information on why I have Axe's and Knives in my bag.

Hope it all goes well.... just got to pack my kit and get it under the weight limit now..
"How much does a SFA weigh? .. eeek,.. SFA or Clothes? ... hmmmm"

Cheers for the help guys.
Carlo

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
May be worth checking about stoves if you are intending bringing one if those. Some airlines will not allow a used gas/meth stove on a plane at all even if it is well aired and has no fuel with it. Something to do with residual fuel etc.
Nigel
RIGHT!
All booked up.. look out Wales the Island boy if leaving his Tax haven! :)

Phoned up the Airport and they confirmed that knives and axes are all fine as long as they are all checked into hold luggage.
I explained what it was for (told them a Bushcraft course) and the ladie was really interested in it :)
She did suggest that I bring along some kind of information about what a "Bushcraft course" consisted of, to help explain if anyone wanted further information on why I have Axe's and Knives in my bag.

Hope it all goes well.... just got to pack my kit and get it under the weight limit now..
"How much does a SFA weigh? .. eeek,.. SFA or Clothes? ... hmmmm"

Cheers for the help guys.
Carlo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE