Suitable canvas for Tepee?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 4, 2013
United Kingdom
After a load of research I still feel I need a second opinion on wheter I'd be able to use the following canvas for a tepee.

www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/cotton-canvas-heavy-cc24a

It's not duck canvas, but does seem to be of a suitable weight. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
As it's a nearby company I wouldn't have to pay postage, making the overall cost for around 41sqm (a bit over how much I've worked out I'll need for my 5 meter diameter tepee) £117. I've seen more suitable seeming canvas around, but with a much heftier price tag and as I'm trying to bring this cost of the whole project in at under £200 they don't really seem an option. Thanks for your time.

Regards - Liam.

N

Nomad

Canvas suitable for painting usually has a fairly rough texture so that it grabs the primer firstly, and then the paint (even with a coat of primer). I don't think I'd be choosing that for a tent - I'd have my doubts about it having a tight enough weave to be decently waterproof.

Nov 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Cheers. I sent an email earlier today asking which they'd recommend for my project, I wasn't too hopeful of a reply with it being such a small order.

Nov 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I may have to, all I got in response of my questions from Whaleys was a price list which I already had. Not at all helpful. Cheers for the link.

udamiano

On a new journey
It depend really on where and how big you want to make this teepee.

where/when-
If your just going to be using this during the summer autumn months then any good quality tight weave tent canvas that has been waterproofed with something like (no say use) fabseal. the price of course will depend on the size of structure. a friend of mine used to keep an eye out for old knackered patrol tents and then cut them into panels, which is a good cheeper option.
If however your going to be using said structure during the winter months then a slightly looser weave, or if your pocket are deep then ventile is the best material (its what is used to make arctic tents) as this breathes better in lower temperatures.
hope this helps

Da

Nov 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Genuinely helpful, thanks. It will most likely be a summer tipi I think. And sadly pockets are shallow. Just waiting on samples now, thanks everyone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE