Suffolk Bushcraft Monthly Meet Feb 7th and 8th 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
2 Night Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Group Meeting Friday 7th & Saturday 8th Feb 2014

Group Meal - Saturday Night at the Compass's, The Green Room.

Please Note New Montly Fees from this Meet

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quiet and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents/Tarps, just outside of the village of Stansfield,

Regulars that have been to the Site before - 12:00 onwards - Can the First Regular report at Office before going to the woods just to let the land owner know we are there :) , No arivals after 9:30pm please.....

New commers to Site - Meet at Compasses Pub, Stansfield, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 8LN. By Arrangement, normally finishing about midday on the Last day. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find, (Please be be aware that due to the location of the parking/site being next to House's the Very Late 9:30pm arrival is not be available as we like to keep traffic to a minimum,)

Cost
The Camp Site charge is £15 per person for the weekend, fees for the site (£10) to be paid to me (Big Stu) and Group Fund Fee's (£5) to Chris (ozzy1977), this will have to be in cash. Fee's to be collected on the Saturday Morning after Breakfast.

Under 10's there is no charge.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the meet with, also please keep children under control.

Behavior
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we aim to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
This is a very wild site...There is a Basic Farm Flushing Toilet and Shower at a Farm Yard about 1km away, the nearest Tap is about a 600m from the Woodland.

Personal Hygiene - there is now a Long Drop toilet in the woodland, and a flushing one at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits (loo roll ect),

The Communal Area has a number of seat/ small tables, a rustic bushy Table seat next to a clay oven to make food prep a bit easier then doing it on your lap, during meets a Tarp will be put up over the fire area, The fire pit has a concrete base, with a Tripod and Extension with a griddle over the fire for everyone's use.

There is also a Pole Lathe and a Shave horse for use, you will need to bring any tools you require.

There is a lean to one man natural shelter that can be used, in a secluded area, if you would like to use it for a night, that would be on a first come, first serve basis, it may need re-roofing prior to use.

Housekeeping
There is NO Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

We do have a rule of no rubbish to be burnt on the fire during time people are cooking or using the fire area for food drink preparation, Please respect this.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, this will depend on activities, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, other than communal one, then it is your responsibility to clean it up, The Main communal Fire is Everyone’s responsibility to clean up after.

NO Green Wood to be cut........

Vehicles and Access and Parking to site
There is NO Vehicle Access to the site at the moment - Car Parking for the woodland will be about 800m away from the woodland in a Working Farm Yard, please do not block Gates and Barn doorways.

Cars are not allowed onto the site, and Must be parked in the Parking Area... DO NOT attempt to drive past this area... the Track we use is NOT Suitable for any other Vehicles other the OFF ROAD Vehicles..... The one allowed to the site will be agreed....

Group Meal,
This Month I have booked the Green Room in the Compass's and have asked for the wood burner to be lit :), for those that would like to take part in a night out of the cold, it is not compulsory for attenders to the meet,

The 2nd Post is a copy of the Menu,

Air Guns/Archery
As a Bonus for the Regular Attendees to Monthly Meets will be able to use Air Guns (Non FAC - under 12flb only) for Target use only in a designated area, they will be subject to Chronograph before use by the Range Control Officer,and any decision on the use of Air Guns and Range that he makes will be final, and has the right to refuse the use of the gun or any person using a gun.

Archery will be available as a Bonus activity for Regulars Only on the same Basis as Air guns, Max Bow power 30lb@28" unless you are a Full Member of a Archery Club, and a member of a Feild Archery Govening Body such as NFAS, GANS EFAA, This will be checked, Target Piles only No Broad Heads ect. We have a boss and now have two 3D Archery Targets. No Cross Bows are allowed at this point in time.

The Archery Targets are ONLY for use with Bows/arrows, They are NOT to be used for anything else.

IF YOU ARE NOT A REGULAR ATTENDEE TO THE MONTHLY MEET PLEASE DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN SHOOT... IT IS ONLY FOR THE REGULARS.

Please inform myself if you intend on bringing an Air Gun/ Bow prior to arrival.

Any person not adhering to these conditions may be asked to stop the activity.

Other Info
Please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect.

Wood can be gathered from around the site, Dead Wood only to be used. No green wood cutting allowed

Of course Micky being taken is compulsory....

I know people Like taking Photo's and sharing experiences, and some do not like the Photo's on the Internet, so Please bear this in mind when posting after the event, also I you do not want your picture on the internet then please make all aware....

Slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale, so a meet can be a great place to get some kit.. reason to bring a little bit of cash with you.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own suitable First Aid kit, not just some plasters.

The nearest A & E is 20 minutes drive at;

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

Skill Share Topic/s.
This is where we Share Skills and pass on information about a subject, all at the meet are welcome to attend and take part, the sessions are headed up by an Attender, Input by others are welcome as there are differnt ways of doing things,

At this meet Map and Compass Work is the Subject for this Month, Kevin has offered to Head up this Skill Share Session.

The copposing will be posponed due to family commitments..

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Just the Attendance List and place name on bottom of list, I will add to the Main Post.

List of Attending
Name - Day of arrival -Group meal
1. Stu - Friday - Group meal. - Braised belly pork with apple gravy & red cabbage - Confirmed.
2. Simon - Friday -
3. Karl - Friday-
4. Toby - Friday - Group meal -Braised belly pork with apple gravy & red cabbage with Cauliflower & cheddar bake . Confirmed
5. Kevin - Friday - Group meal - Rib-eye & seasonal salad - Confirmed
6. Colin - Friday - Group meal - T-bone and chunky chips - Confirmed
7. Woody firesticks (Chris)- Friday - Group meal - stansfield burger / side order of onion rings. - confirmed
8. John - Saturday Morn.
9. Sean - Friday

Visiting
1. Chris O - Saturday Only.

Other Dates
7th & 8th March 2014 - Monthly Meet
15th & 16th March 2014 - RAT Challenge - PM For Details
4th & 5th April 2014 - Monthly Meet
2nd & 3rd May 2014 Monthly Meet - we may make this a 3 night if enough are interested, due to the bank holiday
23rd May to 26th May 2014 - 4 Night Boone Challenge.
6th & 7th June 2014 - Monthly Meet

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The Stansfield Compasses

We hope this menu reflects our passion for local food; where possible, we will use produce from the surrounding farm and local area. East Anglia has some of the best food in the country and we want to demonstrate this

To Nibble 2.50

Fennel cured scratchings
Beef jerky
Pickled quails egg
Pistachios
Homemade game sausage roll (80p per inch )
Mixed smoked nuts

Starters
Wild rabbit rillettes, served on warm toast with apricot chutney 5.00
Stansfield soup with sour dough bread 4.50
Baked Camembert fondue with smoked tomatoes & bacon jam 5.50
Burnt tomatoes & shallots on toast 4.00
Chicken liver pate with toasted sourdough & bacon jam 4.50
Pickle pot – anchovy, mackerel, prawn, scallop, vegetables & a selection of breads 5.00
Lemon & chilli lamb ribs 6.00
Apple & BBQ chicken wings 5.00

Add side orders to make a main meal, if you like

To share or as a main
Stansfield smoked fish platter – mackerel, salmon, eel, mussels, salmon pate &
mackerel scotch egg, pickles & breads 9.50
Charcuterie plate – salami, air dried ham, pastrami, rabbit,
smoked chicken liver pate, tomatoes, pickles & breads 10.50
½ Spatchcocked chicken rubbed with herb & saffron aioli or fiery peri peri,
Lemon & chilli lamb ribs & Apple & BBQ chicken wings & mixed salad 22.50

Mains
Braised belly pork with apple gravy & red cabbage 13.00
Girolle mushroom pearl barley risotto with smoked duck egg & parmesan shavings (V) 11.00
Lamb rump with broccoli topped by anchovy & chilli sauce 14.00
Spatchcocked chicken rubbed with lemon, black pepper, rosemary & saffron aioli
Served with seasonal herb salad Serves 1/2 ½ 15.00
Serves 2/4 Whole 24.75
Stansfield Game Pie with our own baked beans 12.00
Pan fried hake with lemon butter sauce, pea puree & mustard mash 13.50

Steaks
We get our meat from cattle either from the farm that surrounds us or from other local farms in the area and can tell you exactly where it comes from.
Rump 5oz - 10.50 10oz - 16.75
Sirloin 5oz - 11.25 10oz - 19.75
Rib-eye 10oz - 21.50
Fillet 8oz - 26.50
T-bone 16oz - 23.25

All served with our own Cherrywood smoked tomatoes and a side. Please order any other side orders that you fancy

Sauces 2.00
Smoked garlic & wild mushroom, Suffolk Blue cheese, Bernaise & Mixed peppercorn

Hand held fodder include hand cut chips & salad
Stansfield burger 100% beef with Oggleshield cheese, smoked onions & bacon jam 10.50
Smoked pulled pork with our own secret recipe of apple bbq sauce 11.00
Old Growler brisket of beef – with Old Growler Porter mustard sauce 11.00

Side Orders 2.50
Hand cut chunky chips
Brocolli with anchovy & chilli sauce
Mash with wholegrain mustard, buttered or champ
Cauliflower & cheddar bake
Baked scalloped potatoes with onions & cream
Braised red cabbage
Stansfield baked beans
Battered onion rings
Seasonal salad
Foraged salad

Desserts 4.95
Banoffee Mess - our take on banoffee pie & Eton mess
Rhubarb crumble & custard
Smoked peaches & vanilla ice cream
Selection of award winning local ices from Criterion Ice Cream
Sticky toffee pudding with custard or ice cream
Cheese & biscuits

Kids menu
Homemade soup with sour dough bread 3.50
Apple & BBQ wings & chips 5.00
Stansfield baked beans on toast 3.50
5 oz Sirloin steak with salad or beans & chips or mash 11.25
5 oz Rump steak with salad or beans & chips or mash 10.50
Pork bites with Stansfield beans & chips 5.00
Mini Stansfield burger with salad or beans & chips 5.50
Breaded chicken breast with beans or salad & chips 5.00

Last edited:

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
List of Attending
1. Big Stu - Friday - Group meal.
2. SJStuart - Friday - Group meal.
3. Mitch66 - Friday- and pub grub
4. Iambosscat - Friday - Group meal.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
List of Attending
5. Ozzy 1977 - Friday - Group meal.

amjake

Sep 10, 2013
Suffolk
List of Attending
6. Amjake - Friday - Group meal

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Now that Jan's meet has been and gone and the next month one is beginig to dawn.. :)... ok theres a few sleeps to go.

Can thouses that are having the Group (PUB) Meal have a look at the Menu (Post#2) and let me know what you will be ordering by the 30th Jan, I will update the list so that I can tell the Manageress so she will be ready for us.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
List of Attending
2. SJStuart - Friday - Group meal. Rib eye steak from the farm with beef tea, chantenay carrots & proper chips
6. Amjake - Friday - Group meal.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I said that I would send a list of meals a week in advance so they know what to get in... I did wonder... I know it give people more incentive to turn up if they have paid a deposit...

I did not put it on this one, but thinking about it someone else(ie the Manageress) is going on our word as a group that can be trusted and don't let local people down... and I would like to be able to do it another time as well :)...

I's got more ideas... Bush Meat BBQ in the Pub Beer Garden.... as a pub theam night..... or am I Mad...

As I typing this... I am think yes........

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
After a few comments at the Jan meet it was felt that it would be nice to have a Stew running all weekend so there is a warm food to eat at any time especially when it get cold......

As we will be going to the Pub on the Saturday for the group meal I wondering about Having a Soup type thing going from Friday night for example.. and easy one say just a mixed veg one.... for example just get a load of veg.. pots/carrots/onion/swede/turnip/add water, OXO cube, salt pepper herbs ect.... as the level goes down just add more water veg ect.... of course all would have to buy in to the theory to it to keep it going :).

keep the cost down by not having meat in it... just charge an extra say £1 per head and see how it lasts... quantity is unknown I know but how would we gauge it..

what do you think... just trying to implement ideas from you guys... with pout breaking pockets... )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE