Strike anywhere matches?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
Does anyone know where i can get some Strike anywhere matches from in the UK? I mean the ones with the pink heads with a white tip on them, the only non-safety matches i can find here a swan's and there ok but abit small.
Any help would be great, cheers!
Steve
:chill:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I don't think that they are available in the UK ... I might be wrong but I've never found any.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
I bought some a few years ago at a building center in the US. I try not to use them. I guess they are now considered hazardous. :roll:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Ouch indeed! I think those very pricey 'survival matches' waterproof matches are strike anywhere. But they are just matches with wax on the end - so if you can get the old ones it'd be better, and then dip them in paraffin (candle) wax. That's what I did, and it worked... but now I use my lightsabre (turboflame turbostick - cuts through steel never mind rope, or lighting fires - perfect answer to "you got a light?"). :eek:):

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the laws regarding how strike anywhere matches are much more strict in the UK than they are in the US.

matches in the US use a formula that is illegal in the UK, they light more easily and flare up a great deal more.

due to these laws you can not get the american 'red head' matches in the UK but if you travel to the US it is worth bringing some back with you

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've got some lifeboat matches, they take a bit of practise to light without breaking them or setting fire to your fingers but they are strike anywhere - anywhere with a tough enough surface to get through the varnish anyway. The windproof and waterproof bit only lasts as long as the head burns which is often not quite long enough if it's raining ( so I soak my tinder in salpetre and keep it in the match tube ). The head covers all but the last cm of the match.

Why would you want to start a fire in a lifeboat anyway - strikes me as suicidal
Realgar

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Are the Swan matchs available any where or just from particular stores. I ask becuase they seem to be unavilable here in Ireland(probaby illagal) but my Mams visting my Aunt in few weeks time so I was going to ask her to pick a few boxs.

James

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
just look for the ones with real sandpaper on the box instead of that funny brown strip

scottish bluebell matches are another strike anywhere match

a little longer than swan vestas too

Tant

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I got some from Tesco's called "Vulcans" - white cardboard box, sice of a regular matchbox, slightly longer than Swan Vestas, I think they were packaged in sixes.

Dave

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
You know I have never had these matches flame up on their own. I grew up using strike anywhere matches and never had a problem. We use to nip the heads off with pliers and hit hard surfaces to make them pop. The ones I currently have are called Ohio blue tip. I haven't seen any more for 3 or 4 years. I currently carry them in a match safe, so does my 15 year old son. I think I have almost always had a match safe, although a few times they went into a plastic baggy.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Another idea is to cut the strip off a matchbox and put it in your survival kit/wallet/whatever so you always have it - then you can just use normal matches. Plus the old style books sold by some dealers (including firms like BCB) are strike-anywhere.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Quill said:
You know I have never had these matches flame up on their own. I grew up using strike anywhere matches and never had a problem. We use to nip the heads off with pliers and hit hard surfaces to make them pop. The ones I currently have are called Ohio blue tip. I haven't seen any more for 3 or 4 years. I currently carry them in a match safe, so does my 15 year old son. I think I have almost always had a match safe, although a few times they went into a plastic baggy.

the american strike anywhere matches are safe (and better than those available here) The law baning them here is one of those ridiculous 'safety' measures designed to protect idiots from themselves

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Stuart said:
the american strike anywhere matches are safe (and better than those available here) The law baning them here is one of those ridiculous 'safety' measures designed to protect idiots from themselves
The same kind of measures that have turned Britain into a nation where every so often the call goes out - "there should be a sign ..." The number of signs on things and around things saggers me ..

"Danger! Cliff!"
"Danger - Deep Hole"
"Electricity Pylon - Do Not Climb - Danger of Death"

etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE