Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi All ...thinking of getting a new stove and im looking at the multifuel Woodlore sell on their site, usually use a Tommy cooker when an open fire is out of the question, what are your views and what do you use?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Swedish Army Mess Kit! :biggthump Doesn't take up much space and is very durable. Everyone can use it. :wink: Very cheap too... There's a lot in here that can recommend it. A lot of dealers too.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi and welcome Paganwolf. Do a search in the kit section, there are two or three big threads discussing the merits of the swedish army mess kit, trangias, gas and multifuel stoves. Any of these would make a good keyword to search on.

There's stuff about hobo stoves i.e. making your own as well :biggthump

Cheers

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
biiiiiiiiig question there

how much can you afford to spend, what sorta weight and what sorta fuel?

they all have pros and cons

meths is not very hot
diesel or paraffin can be a pest to light but smashing once they are going

just discovered petrol stoves when i bought a
baby enders though the fumes from using plain old petrol out the pump are best avoided, specially inside a tent

then there is the question of maintainance and spare parts, specially if you buy an older stove

having said that some of the old ones like primus are still going strong 40 or 50 years on

Tant

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I think I said the same thing on the other stove thread but I've had an MSR XGK shaker jet for years now and it's been fantastic. As long as you give a clean every now and again, it'll burn anything from meths to white spirit to diesel to aviation fuel. It all depends on what you're going to use it for and how often.

Let's face it - gas is really convenient too and Cotswold are doing the KSB Thermo Pro with windshield for 30 quid on sale offer. Perfect for fast set-up, easy to light, stable, and safer overall than liquid fuel stoves in a tent doorway. I bung mine in the back of the car with a pan and brew kit, just in case. For longer expeds and for abroad I use the XGK.

Horses for courses...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Paganwolf said:
Hi All ...thinking of getting a new stove and im looking at the multifuel Woodlore sell on their site, usually use a Tommy cooker when an open fire is out of the question, what are your views and what do you use?

That would be the optimus nova - I have one and it's fan-cooker-tastic. The best multifuel money can buy IMO. But it (multifuel) may not be what you want. Do a search on "nova" or "optimus" even "trangia nova" and you'll get tons of good info.

Personally, I'm likeing the plain old trangia more and more for simple and general no-fuss getting stuff hot. Of course, if you're going trekking in the moutains of nepal, a multifuel would have it's benefits. But for general purpose use, the trangia meths stove is fab.

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
I must admit I have tried all sorts of stove over the years and have just reverted back to my trusty old camping gaz! Trangiers kits are ok, but I had trouble getting the meths that didn't blacken the pans, but found it a trusty system when used.

I have gone back to gaz purely for convienience sake, but worry about the effects on the environment, but also want to not have to carry too much fuel with me :p

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Les Marshall said:
Trangiers kits are ok, but I had trouble getting the meths that didn't blacken the pans, but found it a trusty system when used.

I think a little water mixed with the meths makes it burn cleaner but I may be remembering wrong. Anyone else heard that or did I make it up?

Bill

leon-1

Paganwolf said:

Make your own, they are quite easy to do and nearly all the stuff that you use are household waste.

have a look at this site , if you want a list of bits in English rather than American terms PM me and I will send it to you.

You will find that half the tools that are mentioned are not required either, they can be improvised form other bits (tin snips can be replaced with a set of scissors, don't use your wifes dress making ones she'll kill you). :wave:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hey thanks, i love the make your own one!! being a blacksmith by trade (as well as other things) that is going to be a must for me i love messing about making things from metal! cheers :eek:): looks as if it may be time to start collecting stoves, i have looked at loads i think a primus then the swedish with a home made in the middle :lol:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Yes. Both the fuel bottle and burner fits in there! :wink: The billy is fitted inside the windshield. Doesn't take up much spce this way. And you can easily fit a cup and a pack of matches in the billy too! :biggthump

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
As Gary has pointed out before you can also use Greenheat gel sachets in place of the burner and meths bottle with the Swedish Trangia.

Its a great cook set, very simple (little to go wrong or loose!) and very robust. Thumbs up from me :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE