Stora Le, Sweden, September 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Eight of us visited Stora Le for a week's canoeing during at the start of September. The weather was fine, except for contrary winds which blew consistently across the lake for nearly the entire period, so depriving us of the chance to rig sail.

img_5099 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
First day on the water, an easy paddle of about 9km passed granite shores.
img_5104 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
The ability of the local trees to find foot holds never ceased to amaze me.
img_5112 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
As a group of eight, we had to use the designated camp sites, but we were free to stop where we liked for lunch and it usually wasn't too hard to find good spots.
img_5115 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

The designated sites are pretty good too, with open fronted Dano shelters, a single composting toilet, some bins for rubbish and a permanent fire site. Those that we stayed at were located on islands out in the lake, the first being the island of Skotton.
img_5129 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
We had at least one great sunset :D
img_5140 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
img_5144 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
The next day we set off for a day trip, leaving camp set up on Skotton. First to a sheltered bay on the west side of the lake to look for beaver.
img_5160 by Last Scratch, on FlickrWe saw several, but none were positioned well enough for me to get a decent shot. The lodge was still very obvious.
img_5164 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
A few kilometers further north we stashed the canoes and headed inland to the Trestiklan national park.
img_5167 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

The shores at the southern end of Stora Le are devoid of bogs, but up in the hills we found many meres and muskeg areas, some were very pretty, others just looked like they would be hell to hike through.
img_5169.jpg

Trestiklan is said to be the largest wild area in southern Sweden, and lies right up against the Norwegian border. The forest hasn't been touched for over a hundred years and in addition to the ubiquitous moose, the park can be visited by wolves during the winter.
img_5169 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
img_5202 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
The next day we pushed on north with the goal of reaching Transholmana, which was about 18km up the lake. By then the wind was getting up, so we skirted islands when we could, there are plenty around.
img_5228 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
Tronsholmana is a pair of islands, but is still much smaller that Skotton. We chose to camp on the western side of the larger island as this was more out of the wind.
img_5276 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
Early in the year you can find that you need to forage for fire wood, and on an island as small as Tronsholmana there is none to spare, but we were lucky to find that some lengths of birch had been dropped off by the folk who service the camp sites. All it needed was sawing to length. The rough bucksaw we made on arrival more than earned its keep!

The place is made for hammocks, tarps, and teepees and although the canoe rental site offers 2-man Vaude tents along with the canoes and provision barrels, only two of our group opted to use them; everyone else brought tarps or tent-age from home.
img_5294 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

The return journey was much like the outward one...decent weather, but windy.
img_5317 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
We camped again on Skotton, but on the other end, so it didn't feel like we were retracing our steps too much.

There is a fair bit of wild life around, but a lot is hard to see. There were a lot of black throated divers on the lake, and we also saw a pair of peregrine falcons, but no ospreys this time. We saw a number of beaver, but the closest we got to moose was when two of us heard one crashing away in the brush while we were fishing late one evening.

The fishing in Stora Le is reputed to be very good, but most is done by trolling out in the lake. We had limited success with the local pike and perch while fishing the shore.

All too soon we were back at the canoe rental site and packing to go home.
img_5370 by Last Scratch, on Flickr
We had a great time and I can thoroughly recommend the place. This was my second visit and I would be quite happy to go back, although I think the plan will be to put in further up the lake, so as to see new vistas...can't wait! Roll on 2011 :D

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pictures Chris, looks an awesome place to visit

You mention you had to use the designated campsites, is that just because you were in a group, are the rules different for individuals or pairs ?

Thanks for sharing

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Groups of six or more people are meant to use the designated sites. The sites cannot be booked, you just turn up. Anyone (group) staying at the sites must have a "Nature Conservation Card" which is available from the canoe rental site.

There seems to me to be some contradiction between the notice in one of the shelters, and what we were told by people on the lake. I photographed the sign about the camps and can post it if anyone really wants to see what it says.

welshwoodsman

Jan 14, 2006
llanelli
Lovely pics Chris. I'll have to put mine on.I went out to Vastra Silen lake on my own for 8 days whilst you were out there. It was your fault for putting the idea in my head in the bushmoot.Glad i went though coz it was stunning.Definitely going out again next year.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
We managed to push on further up the lake the next week. Same conditions as plagued Chris with some tasty winds giving a bit of a chop to the waves. First camp was up at Guppvikson, near the Norweigian border. The next day we paddled over and had a look around Norway.

IMG_2752.jpg

The scenery is just stunning:

IMG_2764.jpg

Over the next few days we headed south to Ed. Managed to see some beaver:

IMG_3198.jpg

If you like canoeing and being outdoors, I can't recommend Sweden enough - despite the Ryanair 'experience'...

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
This has brought back some fond memories of visiting this place a few years back, think we may have even camped in some of the same spots, absolutely stunning place and very easy to get to from the uk!

May 28, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Hi Chris!

This is my first post on Bushcraftuk :) Nice pictures, but when reading your descriptions, I had a question.
I'll be walking alongside Stora-Le this summer. (from Ed --> Sund) with 5 other friends. This means we will be with 6 people, but we have no idea how fast we will be walking (because 90% of the time we'll be off-road).
Would it be a problem if we just camped anywhere when we got tired instead of went looking for a designated camping site?

Maybe a second question, I was also thinking of bringing some fish wire and some hooks, so we could try and perhaps catch a fish, woult it be necassary to buy a licence for that?

Looking forward to an answer,
Wouter, Belgium

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE