Stir crazy and....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
...climbing up the wall as im laid up with this new hip. So, did a search on here for "bannock" as I always wanted to make one and never got round to it !! No better time than now, chucked flower, baking powder, salt and a pinch of sugar into a bowl, fried a few rashers of bacon (chopped) and fried onion in the mix, paprika and a shot of olive oil and put some cold water into it, making a strong mix. I read in all the recipes that people put milk powder into it (what?????), I just can't see first nation people, Celts or picts whipping out the powdered milk (or even baking powder for that matter).
This is the result, in a roasting tray and in the oven as we speak. Beer is ice cold already (ok, tribal ppl didn't have that neither) and once it cooled down, I'll take another photo for you lot on here .
Keep your fingers crossed for me and the next 20 minutes or so???
Cheers
20181008_122116.jpg

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
We did homemade pizza with the kids a couple of days ago [it's always a favourite] but my attention was required elswhere so left son 2 in charge of making the dough, unfortunately he put a bit too much salt into the mix - well, lesson learned and he'll not do that again, even he admitted it was a little salty!

Reactions: SGL70

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Those all look good. Outdoors and 50 yards from the middle of nowhere does something wonderful to simple foods.

Practice! Lots of practice in your own kitchen. Mistakes = you learn from flour well wasted, agreed?
Then you hunker down in a camp and whip off some bannock and visit at the same time.
I learned that if it looks easy, it probably isn't. I learned that the bannock isn't the first one you ever made.
Can I have raisins in mine, please?.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just made some protein balls, peanut butter, maple syrup, oats and and dried cranberries. Mix together and form into balls then chill in fridge. Brilliant snack bites for a hike. Could use any dried fruit available . Mmmm ,very yummy, but then I love peanut butter and maple syrup .

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are some nut flours which would be gluten free (Hazlenut, Maize, Dal (pea) etc) .
The baking powder is the leavening agent but the lack of a gluten web might allow the dough to flop.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There are some nut flours which would be gluten free (Hazlenut, Maize, Dal (pea) etc) .
The baking powder is the leavening agent but the lack of a gluten web might allow the dough to flop.
Yes this is the problem. Before I became gluten intolerant I baked bread every week for the home successfully and bannock at camp. Most gluten free bread is awfull and I won't buy commercial crap. I have tried gf packet mix. And various g f flours. Nowadays I don't eat bread at home but I miss a good butty and camp bread. I'm so envious of people who can eat lovely bannock my favourite was cheese stuffed. All gooey in the middle. Oh I wanna cry!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dove's farm gluten free works fine to make bannocks. I use it all the time at home, just replacing the ordinary SR flour with it.
It doesn't take the extra weight of stuff like dried fruit and nuts very well, and it does need eaten quick-ish and not left for days after baking.
I used it at camp to make pancakes, oatcakes, bannocks, tattie scones and girdle (I'm a Scot, that's a cast iron flat plate 16" across) scones.
It makes excellent batter for tempura and the like :) just mix it with fizzy water or beer and it's really good.
Great around chunks of halloumi as well, and I know someone who swears that it's brilliant around mars bars :rolleyes: It's good around fish and chicken too.
Their bread flour I don't find quite so good. It works, but I think it's better just using the SR for quick breads. It's not terribly good for sourdough, though it does froth.
It's 'mouthfeel' is kind of gritty in the sourdough. No idea why.
M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just bought some dove farm flour and baked a bannock in the oven. Much better than my last attempt. Though it still don't taste quite as good. Am I being too fussy? Guess i am, but then I realy realy miss granany bread,French sticks crumpets. .. the list goes on. Griddle cakes were better than shop bought g f ones. I shall be using this flour from now on. Aldi brand flour has gone in bin. Thanks for the info. Now to get baking... pastry next...broccoli and Stilton quiche. ..mmmm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just bought some dove farm flour and baked a bannock in the oven. Much better than my last attempt. Though it still don't taste quite as good. Am I being too fussy? Guess i am, but then I realy realy miss granany bread,French sticks crumpets. .. the list goes on. Griddle cakes were better than shop bought g f ones. I shall be using this flour from now on. Aldi brand flour has gone in bin. Thanks for the info. Now to get baking... pastry next...broccoli and Stilton quiche. ..mmmm

No, I agree, it's much better than the alternatives, but it's not wheat flour :sigh: It misses the bite somehow, and it's really not granary bread.
Y'know how the chia and amaranth type seeds are all the rage ? well our own versions, now only thought of as famine foods, are very good indeed, and they add both texture and flavour to food. Pendulous rush seeds prolifically, and it's native and is very good as an additional flour, but so are docken seeds, wood millet, plantain, etc., and they all help create a kind of granary bread base that's better than the alternatives.

Let me know how you get on with the pastry, please ? I struggle with it, my hands are too warm and it's a fuss for ordinary flour anyway, but gluten free I really don't do well.
I do find the golden cornmeal recipes make excellent crusts though for flans and things like millionaire's shortbread.
I bake, I bake often, I still have an adult son living at home, he and his dad can clear biscuit and cake tins in short order :rolleyes:
:)

M

Reactions: Woody girl

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
After just one attempt I gave up all attempts at home baking. I was wintering aboard my boat, moored in the River Fal in Cornwall at the time. On yet another rainy day, I decided to have a go at home baking. The cabin filled with a wonderful smell of fresh baked bread and when I took the loaf from the Galley stove it was golden brown. I left it to cool for a while and then set about it with the bread knife. The top half inch of crust cut easily, the inside resembled a white breeze block!! Afraid of breaking the knife I decided to throw the loaf over the side but realising that at low tide it might cause an under water obstruction...:D..I decided to break it into pieces first, accomplished with a 12 Oz claw hammer.

Cornish Seagulls are not that bright are they? If something thrown into the river sinks immediately then it's not a good idea to swoop down and try to eat it...When pieces of the white concrete like substance were swallowed some birds just about floated to neck level.. others needed a 200 yard running take off to get airbourne.
Afraid of a visit from the RSPB for sinking Seagulls, I took the shattered remains of my loaf ashore and ditched in a dustbin outside Tesco in Truro where it rattled into the metal bin with a sound like like falling building rubble...:D

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ha ha ha that reminds me of my first attemptstep at bread making. My first bread rolls were like cannon balls and cracked the linitial when dropped. Could not get the bread knife thru the crust. Second try I sunk a duck!!! Keep trying don't give up. At least if you feed ducks and sink them you still got something for the table!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE