Stick tang bushcraft knife WIP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
This will be the start of another WIP concerning one of my knives, this time a Mark Hill blade that is flat ground, has a woodlore profile and is stick tang.

All the discs, blocks and the pommel and bolster have been cut.

And I'm working on the shape of the bolster as we speak.

Watch this space. :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What number knife build is this Niels? (It's important that you mention how few knives you've done along with your age so all of us in the old folks home can groan and go WHAT!):).
With a combination of Mark and your skills I'm looking forward to the build, this is your birthday blade isn't it?
ATB,
C.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
As above, looking forward to this as your others have turned out so well before. I also love the stacked antler and birch look. I really must get one of them in the projects list :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Hurry up then Niels.......... chop chop lad :)

Yes boss:)

What number knife build is this Niels? (It's important that you mention how few knives you've done along with your age so all of us in the old folks home can groan and go WHAT!):).
With a combination of Mark and your skills I'm looking forward to the build, this is your birthday blade isn't it?
ATB,
C.

It is the birthday one. The 6th knife so far.
The wood is yew for a change, as I ran out of birch and the yew is from the Netherlands whereas the curly birch came from brisa.

Just finished polishing the bolster:

No need to polish the pommel yet as I'm not going to rivet the tang on this one.
I believe the glue is strong enough to hold the handle together without riveting, besides it will look better.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Well after polishing the bolster this happened:

It meant I was drilling to close to the side of the antler.
It also meant I had to do a new bolster. Bolster fitting:

Got a perfect fit this time:D Never managed that before.

All parts in the right order ready for glueing:

And all glued up. The hard part is over now.

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
that is looking good this far! How do you make sure that the handle is pushed onto the tang properly with this clamping setup? Just push it on and hope for the best?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
that is looking good this far! How do you make sure that the handle is pushed onto the tang properly with this clamping setup? Just push it on and hope for the best?

I put it in once, take it out to see if the bolster isn't being pushed away from the blade, and when I put it back in I always give the whole vice a few taps with a hammer to make sure. This vice is far from ideal though, I'm still looking to make a better one.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I`ve been trying to come up with something, but the best I`ve done this far is use a vice like yours, and then stick the blade in a workmate and weigh the vice down so the whole handle is pulled on to the tang. Maybe that is completely superfluous though.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I`ve been trying to come up with something, but the best I`ve done this far is use a vice like yours, and then stick the blade in a workmate and weigh the vice down so the whole handle is pulled on to the tang. Maybe that is completely superfluous though.

That's an option, but if you have a tight fit on your pieces, it can take a load of weight to actually make a difference.
Here's a better option:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103026

And there's a really smart vice in this thread too. Technically this one is even better as it doesn't put any pressure on the blade edge:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103709

I hope the inventors don't mind me linking to them.:surrender:

Coming on well Niels

Thanks man.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's going to be a sweet knife. Love the fact you make your own tools as well - that's the sign of a craftsman!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE