1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Step for those short of stature.

Discussion in 'Kit Chatter' started by Wayne, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Wayne

Wayne BCUK Welfare Officer
    Mod

Ok hive mind and black belt google warriors I’m looking for a folding light weight back packable step I can strap to a tree.

I need to get my hammock and tarp straps higher.

At my reach my hammock is on the deck.

2. Mesquite

Mesquite Anyone for sailing?

3. BJJJ

BJJJ Native

Have you thought of coming at this from another angle?, what about a hand litter picker ? Very lightweight and will extend your reach by about 75cm.

Nice65 likes this.
  4. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Forager

Use a webbing ratchet strap around a tree about a foot off the ground and hook one of these under it to give yourself extra reach.
    Lightweight (aluminium) comes in a nylon case/cover, about back pocket size.
    Other advantage is, if you have a vehicle with a roof rack, the gizmo will be dual purpose.

Amazon.co.uk.... car door step up

5. sunndog

sunndog Full Member

Tie a rope step to the tree or use a stick/walking pole to push the straps up higher

Nice65 likes this.
  6. Wayne

Wayne BCUK Welfare Officer
    Mod

Being a shorty. I’m used to improviseing using a stick etc to get the straps a bit higher I’ll check out your suggestions.

7. Janne

Janne M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

Carry a 1.5 meter of sturdy rope ( that can take your weight) and make a ‘step’ by looping it around the tree, then making a loop. Put your foot in loop and step up.
    Not sure the name of this technique.

8. Hammock_man

Hammock_man Full Member

I use two expanding poles to lift the ridge line up another foot or two, after loosely tieing to tree. That way I can get a tarp I can walk under easy. Carrying poles to site can be a pain but the joy of freely walking under my tarp is so worth it.
    Remember to hoist the ridge line before tieing down the guy lines.
    As for the hammock I have always set my DD at much tighter then the 30 degree often quoted. I have to have the straps much higher with my Easy Hammock but still doable without my bottom hitting the deck. The built in fixed ridge line sorts out the "lay" of the hammock. If the hammock should hang too close to the ground, i.e. 18 inchs, make use of a ground sheet to reduce the cold damp of the ground being felt.

9. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

I like your thinking, a stick is even simpler to push your rope or cord up, but only if you have a ridgeline knot that can be pulled tight from the ground. Mine usually involves a paracord round turn and locking off with a half hitch and then slippy hitch so it can only tied while able to reach it. A couple of times when on a slope and one side needs to go up higher, then tape strops and a carabiner are really easy to position and release with a stick.

The rope step is a good idea, many a time I’ve balanced a log against the tree to get some reach, it’s not ideal. Even a long loop of paracord around the tree could be used to hook a toe into get a step up.

A loop of cord or strap, a carabiner, and a thumb-stick/staff couldn’t be simpler.

#9 Nice65, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  10. sunndog

sunndog Full Member

Loopie sling for extra style points