Steel strikers, bought, for flint & steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I didn't search for previous discussions of this topic.

I whack old files in my vise to make 2" pieces for striking flints. They work just fine. I see beautiful smithed strikers with curlicues and etched makers' marks on the big river.

Has anyone tried both? Is there any utilitarian reason to prefer one over the other? Aesthetically, yes, curlicues win.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
John's file strike-a-lights work really well, I've got a couple in my kit.

I'm also the very proud owner of a couple of classic forged strike-a-lights made by the late Mike Ameling which are excellent!.

Me being me, I went through a phase of collecting old files from car boot sales and turning them into strikers and the odd knife. I love the old brand stamps and was amazed at how many different manufacturers there used to be.

I've got a box full of strikers in the garage somewhere.

Heres a short video of me checking them out
I think the charcloth was a bit damp to be honest!

And a bit of a blast from the past

Cheers

Steve

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
John's file strike-a-lights work really well, I've got a couple in my kit.

I'm also the very proud owner of a couple of classic forged strike-a-lights made by the late Mike Ameling which are excellent!.

Me being me, I went through a phase of collecting old files from car boot sales and turning them into strikers and the odd knife. I love the old brand stamps and was amazed at how many different manufacturers there used to be.

I've got a box full of strikers in the garage somewhere.

Heres a short video of me checking them out
I think the charcloth was a bit damp to be honest!

And a bit of a blast from the past

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve,
Have you got a forged one you want to sell?
Lost your number (yes, again!!) Or I'd given you a call

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE