State your position

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I thought this was a 'Your position' thread, well I'm lying down trying to transfer my video collection to new external drives for still more back up and flicking through internet sites. I have 'Invaders from Mars' 1953 on in the background, dam good film.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
The simplest method I would recommend is to set your gps to this format: hddd.ddddd to avoid the need for referring to asterisks, hyphens, commas thereby increasing the risk of communication misunderstandings made worse by possible heat/cold/injury etc etc
A text message would read N45.217850 E0.099178 (great place btw!)
or by voice North 45 degrees point 217850 East Zero degrees point 099178
Works on the KISS principle.

and an easy way to remember which is latitude and which is longitude is that an aircraft runs along a runway before going up. (VTOL's excepted!)
Hence horizontal lines = Latitude (your 'runway')
Longitude vertical lines= up (or think of them a the longer side of orange segments, the orange being planet earth.)

Last edited:
and an easy way to remember which is latitude and which is longitude is that an aircraft runs along a runway before going up. (VTOL's excepted!)
Hence horizontal lines = Latitude (your 'runway')
Longitude vertical lines= up (or think of them a the longer side of orange segments, the orange being planet earth.)

Yes, your lines OF latitude run horizontal, but the coordinate represents how N/S you are, so it's more up than across.

It's much like saying lines of X run vertically. Not so clear :)

Steve

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
comcon3.jpg
a little something to help illustrate my comment to help you understand Steve :0)
Runways are horizontal and run parallel to each other
Aircraft roll down these then climb :0) - it's just an imagery to help navigation newbies ;0)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE