starting out with hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
:red:

I just wanted to share my excitement.

I can finally start realising a long-held dream of mine - hunting!

Last week I registered to get the hunting license - the first step! :)

Getting the hunting license here in Germany is expensive and takes about a year. There are compact courses available, but they are even more expensive and I cannot spare three weeks solid (never mind the money).

The course I am doing starts next May, but I was already offered to help out with doing keeping-up-work in the hunting district of the local hunting association this year in exchange for taking parts in hunts for deer, boar and varmint. Good for experience and contacts (it's a tight knit community...)!

My missus always reacted VERY allergic whenever I only touched on the subject. Lately she has come around though... Maybe the new espresso machine helped :p

I look forward to learn tons of new stuff, be out in the forest, and be able to share this with my three boys, something I would have loved to have as a kid but never had the chance to.

So now I am already drooling over gear, rifles, calibers, optics, and all that malarkey. This is going to be expensive!

I will update when I had my first outing!

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Congrats.

I reckon you just have to get a falling block, something like a ruger No.1

Thank you!

Interesting about the Falling block.

This will still be two years out before i will purchase a rifle so I am not getting stressed over it.

I was thinking about a bolt action like the CZ 550 in .30-06. Something with a wide application. And not too heavy (on the wallet too).

I am left-handed, do bolt actions come with the bolt in the left as well or do I have to start to learn to shoot the "right" way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I dunno.

30-06 is a pretty big cartridge. What will you be hunting?

TBH, I really have no idea what I am taking about, just a bit of theoretical knowledge from a few books and forums and Wikipedia!

I guess I will be hunting local species like deer and boar. Fox maybe? I'd love to go on some Scandinavian hunts for elk or moose.

As I understand the .30-06 can be loaded with a wide variety of cartridges, e.g. fast & light (is that with smaller grain number???) for smaller game or slow & heavy for bigger critters.

As I will likely only have money for one rifle for the first few years I'd like a generalist rifle I guess. This is my current, "uneducated" thinking of course!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have very limited experience of hunting with a firearm. Much more from target shooting.

I do know that accurate shooting means practise, that with big cartridges that gets expensive quickly. Having a gun in 22lr enables you to get lots of shooting practise cheaply, but won't accustom you to the kick of big guns. Last time I shot something similar to a 30-06, I was surprised by the kick - it was similar to a 12gauge (ie, like being thumped in the shoulder with a club). Not something I'd shoot with kids.

If you are spending time going out with other shooters, you'll find out what they use. Go with the local knowledge, not the internet armchair pundits (like me).

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The 30-06 is indeed a very versatile cartridge. It can be loaded down for critters as small as jackrabbits (hares) or loaded up it's capable of taking grizzlies (though I'd really prefer a larger caliber for those)

The kick (recoil) is reasonably light. As mrcharley said, it's only about like a 12 gauge usually. There are lots of factors that affect recoil (even in the same caliber); rifle weight, barrel length, action type, heavy vs light powder load, etc. That said, a 30-06 won't kick anything near as baddly as the big magnums; I've been shooting 30-06s since I was 15 and 12 gauges since I was about 12. Yes A 22 is a better starting rifle for both ammo costs and learning good shooting habits.

Regarding the 30-06 versatility and ammo costs; they are very, very, very reasonably priced---HERE. Because they are equally popular---HERE. That may are may not be the case in Germany; as mrcharly suggested, take your time and learn what the local hunters are using. You can be reasonably sure that they will mostly be using a caliber that is adequate for most game there. If your interest expands to traveling outside of Germany to hunt, the 30-06 will handle most legal game worldwide smaller than the African big 5.

A bolt action is a very good choice and is probably the most popular worldwide; it's reliable, accurate and almost universally legal for hunting. Yes many manufacturers do make left handed rifles (of various calibers) I don't know for certain if CZ makes a left handed version or not but they are a well known and popular gun maker so I would imagine so (contact them directly to find out) If they don't, I know that Remington and Ruger both do. Does your course require shooting (I would imagine so)? If it does and you will be shooting a borrowed rifle you may have to put up with a right handed model during that period but I would think as you get acquainted with the hunting community you will meet other left handed shooters as well.

Welcome and enjoy! Remember, learning and anticipation are probably the biggest source of the fun.

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Congratulations malente,it is a great feeling and i remember it well,your life may never be the same now you have been bitten by the hunting bug and it could well become an all consuming passion as it did for me(a good few years ago now!) There is something about being out in the wilderness with a rifle, either alone or with friends that is difficult to put into words,but when you have been there you will know what i mean.
The first centrefire rifle that i purchased was a Tikka Mod 696 Continental in 30-06 cal and i regret selling it to this day,does what it says on the tin and VERY versatile, but try and buy yourself a good reloading manual before you take the plunge as there are some truly stunning calibres out there that will do everything, if you want to keep only one rifle(there is more chance of you winning the lottery!)One more bit of advise that i think will stand you well was given to me and i totally ignored is spend as much of your hard earned as you possibly can (sell the aspresso machine) on decent optics both telescopics and binos,you cant shoot what you cant see.

Good hunting and clear skies.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I have very limited experience of hunting with a firearm. Much more from target shooting.

I do know that accurate shooting means practise, that with big cartridges that gets expensive quickly. Having a gun in 22lr enables you to get lots of shooting practise cheaply, but won't accustom you to the kick of big guns. Last time I shot something similar to a 30-06, I was surprised by the kick - it was similar to a 12gauge (ie, like being thumped in the shoulder with a club). Not something I'd shoot with kids.

If you are spending time going out with other shooters, you'll find out what they use. Go with the local knowledge, not the internet armchair pundits (like me).

Thank you for your advise, armchair pundit or not! I will certainly go out with the local hunters as much as I can and try to learn as much as possible from them.

I just remember, my late granddad used to have a small calibre rifle that he used for rabbits and hares. I must ask my dad what has happened to it...

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
The 30-06 is indeed a very versatile cartridge. It can be loaded down for critters as small as jackrabbits (hares) or loaded up it's capable of taking grizzlies (though I'd really prefer a larger caliber for those)

The kick (recoil) is reasonably light. As mrcharley said, it's only about like a 12 gauge usually. There are lots of factors that affect recoil (even in the same caliber); rifle weight, barrel length, action type, heavy vs light powder load, etc. That said, a 30-06 won't kick anything near as baddly as the big magnums; I've been shooting 30-06s since I was 15 and 12 gauges since I was about 12. Yes A 22 is a better starting rifle for both ammo costs and learning good shooting habits.

Regarding the 30-06 versatility and ammo costs; they are very, very, very reasonably priced---HERE. Because they are equally popular---HERE. That may are may not be the case in Germany; as mrcharly suggested, take your time and learn what the local hunters are using. You can be reasonably sure that they will mostly be using a caliber that is adequate for most game there. If your interest expands to traveling outside of Germany to hunt, the 30-06 will handle most legal game worldwide smaller than the African big 5.

A bolt action is a very good choice and is probably the most popular worldwide; it's reliable, accurate and almost universally legal for hunting. Yes many manufacturers do make left handed rifles (of various calibers) I don't know for certain if CZ makes a left handed version or not but they are a well known and popular gun maker so I would imagine so (contact them directly to find out) If they don't, I know that Remington and Ruger both do. Does your course require shooting (I would imagine so)? If it does and you will be shooting a borrowed rifle you may have to put up with a right handed model during that period but I would think as you get acquainted with the hunting community you will meet other left handed shooters as well.

Once I have some shooting range time under the belly, I will know what calibers/ cardridges are popular and available in my neck of the woods. As I said, it'll be a while before I will buy a rifle. Nevertheless, thank you as well for your advise! Thanks also for the info on left handed versions.

The course is rather comprehensive (see this Wikipedia link for an overview) In my state there are 15 shooting practice sessions and an examination session at the end requiring shooting with rifle, shotgun and pistol on fixed and moving targets.

Welcome and enjoy! Remember, learning and anticipation are probably the biggest source of the fun.

Thanks I try to remember :)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Congratulations malente,it is a great feeling and i remember it well,your life may never be the same now you have been bitten by the hunting bug and it could well become an all consuming passion as it did for me(a good few years ago now!) There is something about being out in the wilderness with a rifle, either alone or with friends that is difficult to put into words,but when you have been there you will know what i mean.
The first centrefire rifle that i purchased was a Tikka Mod 696 Continental in 30-06 cal and i regret selling it to this day,does what it says on the tin and VERY versatile, but try and buy yourself a good reloading manual before you take the plunge as there are some truly stunning calibres out there that will do everything, if you want to keep only one rifle(there is more chance of you winning the lottery!)One more bit of advise that i think will stand you well was given to me and i totally ignored is spend as much of your hard earned as you possibly can (sell the aspresso machine) on decent optics both telescopics and binos,you cant shoot what you cant see.

Good hunting and clear skies.

Thank you silverback!

If I sell the espresso machine my wife will shoot me, optics or not ;)

My other interest is photography, so I know about the importance of good quality glass! I plan to spend at least as much on the optics as on the rifle. Thanks for the advise, this is worth gold!

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Just ate duck that was shot less than 2 hours ago, tasted beautiful :)

Well worth it :D

Congrats! I look forward to the day I can put the meat on the table too - I love waterfowl, venison, and all the rest of it! How did you get it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Try these links for left handed rifles:

www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeStandardLeftHanded/...
www.remington.com/product-categories/firearms.aspx?panel=4

The only site I could find for CZ was the CZ USA site so I'm not sure if the same models would be available in Germany. At any rate the only centerfire left handed ones they offered on the USA sit were in223 or 204 Ruger or magnum safari calibers. I'll post more links if I can find them.

Thanks santaman! Will have a look!

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
308 is a good caliber for sure. I use it for deer and moose. Nothing wrong with 30.06 either, (maybe a bit of overkill on deer). You might want to look at 270 Win;
real good all-round shell and lots of rifles available in that caliber.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE