stainless steel bbq's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
I had one like this
bbq0592.jpg
which I think I bought from Lakeland for about a tenner.

Just to be clear it's not 'oil drum' sized - its probably about a foot long.

I found it to be OK and I got my tenner's worth from it - but I didn't run out to buy another when it died. For one or two people at most it does the job. It's easy enough to transport and was no problem to light and it burned OK.

At home I now have a Weber which really is very good, and a home made oil drum BBQ which I use for large gatherings and/or large cuts of meat. On the road I now carry a Grilliput, which is just as good as the small S/S one was for one person but it's much smaller and lighter. The downsize of course is that you have to be a bit more careful about the ground you make the fire on.

I hope that helps in some way :)

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I got one a few years ago now, its been very handy indeed to store clean in the back of the truck for self, friends and family. The way it stores with muck, fuel and tools stored inside makes it a good bet. Mine is currently dying but will be replaced as I actually prefer it to my garden BBQ so long as I use it on a slab on any table.

Not much cop as a campfire though.

Richard

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i had one but wouldn't have another for two reasons.

you can't raise the heights of the grills so i had to make some different arrangements for that, think propping the grill on a couple of house bricks to gain heigh!!! so not that great

my dad got his hands on it to cook a large meal for 6 or so people he lit the suitable fire but this got so hot it melted the pop rivets that held the hole thing together and it fell apart. i could have repaird it but i didn't think much of it so it went down the tip.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
i had one but wouldn't have another for two reasons.

you can't raise the heights of the grills so i had to make some different arrangements for that, think propping the grill on a couple of house bricks to gain heigh!!! so not that great

my dad got his hands on it to cook a large meal for 6 or so people he lit the suitable fire but this got so hot it melted the pop rivets that held the hole thing together and it fell apart. i could have repaird it but i didn't think much of it so it went down the tip.

I have a small barrel type one and it's annoying that you can't vary the grill height. Also I got it for canoe camping with a view to being able to put a fire in it but I'm now wary as to whether it would take the heat without collapsing.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've got an Ikea one. It's a kettle type, which is the kind I prefer.

It's fiairly portable - if you've got a vehicle and its suitable for a base camp or day out.

It doesn't rust, there's no black paint to peel off when it gets greasy and it's relatively easy to clean.

Of course it's very basic but it does what it's supposed to do. The only problem I find with it is that the ventilation holes aren't well designed at the bottom and tend to fill up with ash which makes the fire go out if you have the lid on fully. To combat this problem I leave it slightly off the base to allow enough air to keep the fire going but not too much air or you might get a flare up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE