Squirrel bite uk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Anyone been bitten by a grey squirrel?

Was out earlier with the kids and they were trying to feed the squirrels at the park, I’ve bent down to stop them as there was quite a few. Talking to the kids and not looking and one has bitten my finger. Broken the skin and bleeding a little.

Washed it and stuck a plaster on it. Mrs says I’m going to get leprosy and is in full wind up mode.

Glad it was me and not the kids. Guessing there is a risk of infection or Lyme?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you're up to date with tetanus shots you should be ok. I was once bitten by an otterand suffered nothing but pain. Wash disinfect plaster. You should be fine. Just keep an eye out for signs of infection. Only then time to visit the doc. If you die after my advice i take no responsibility. If Mrs is panicking shows she loves you. Visit chemist if you feel you need to. They will advise with more authority than me.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Would it not be quite cool to write "Had Leprosy in 2019" on the future Medical Questionnaires?

:)

As it bit you, it was aggressive. Very aggressive!
Maybe it has Rabies?
Did you see if it foamed from the mouth? If it did it had Rabies for sure!

Reactions: Faz

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Having been bitten by the wife's pet rats* on more than one occasion you should be fine, however if it becomes inflamed and throbbing get yourself down the doctors.
* Ben was sleeping in my boot and got my big toe & Bill was hanging off my finger in a dispute over who's tumbler of Amarula it was on the coffee table.

true-men.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Squirrels do bite; it's normal and almost certainly not because it was rabid! It probably thought your finger was the food being offered.
As I've said before, I know a falconer who's Harris Hawks won't go near a grey squirrel.
As others have said, wash thoroughly, a light dressing to keep any further infection away, and inspect frequently; if it starts swelling and/or red spreading from the bite go to A&E (I'd like to see their expressions though :) ).

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Quick visit to the a+e due to previous issues with an infection. Iodine bandage, tetanus jab due to last one being 25 years ago and some anti biotics for the next week or so. Overkill and felt like a fraud but nurse said they treat them like a dog or human bite and I wasn’t the first to go in with a squirrel bite!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That'll Larn ye to keep up to date with yer tetanus shots! A timely reminder. For those who spend a lot of time outdoors like us lot you should now go check your up to date. If not go get a jab ASAP. It's something easy to forget about. I'm due one this year so will be asking for it at my yearly heart and lung check up. Tetanus is very nasty you don't want to get it. Look after yourselves out there folks.watch out fer those pesky sqizzers!

Reactions: Faz

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Weirdly the nurse advised to get a hep booster. What the hell are these things up to?!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
never wrong with a booster dose. You can not have too much immune protection!

Next time you get attacked by the Squirrel pack, you will know you are safe, no matter how many squirrels and bites!
:)

Reactions: Woody girl

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
My wife is getting a lot of ammo out of the whole thing. There’s plenty of squirrel memes.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
83a72d982a1fcffa68e04ba083e35c40.jpg

They can be right brazen in London parks. I stopped to look around in Regent's Park and the next thing I knew, one of the blighters had climbed up my leg while I was just standing there!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thinking of it, I remember the flocks of Greys in London parks. I wonder why they do not eradicate them and introduce Reds instead?
Would be fairly easy.
It is virtually hopeless in the countryside, but doable in city parks!

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
The best way to check, is to stand on a fence about four feet from a bird feeder. If you suddenly find yourself hanging upside down off the feeder by your feet while nibbling at half a coconut of suet, you’re absolutely fine.

Can you run up trees?
Can I have your axe?

Thoughts and prayers....

Reactions: Woody girl and Faz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE