Sprocker Owners!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Good Afternoon everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you have Sprockers? If so, what can you comment about them? Pro's / Cons's? etc. And is it more cocker or springer? what are the general health implications / things to watch for (if any)

When my girlfriend moved in she brought with her a 9 year old Working Cocker, I've had Labs, and Rottys in the past, so I'd like to think I know my way around a dog. I just haven't directly been exposed to one of these bad boys. I generally only like bigger dogs, and ultimately I want a Bernese Mountain dog, and have wanted once since I was young, however the house we're currently in isn't big enough for one and I don't think it'd be fair. So that'll come with the next house!

This made me think about what dogs I could have in this house and I've now got my heart set on an all Brown Sprocker. The only thing that worries me is my friend has a springer and he's a nightmare, so different to our cocker. Wont obey commands, nightmare off lead and very very very very hyper, don't get me wrong, our cocker is mad, but he's next level. So just wanted to get peoples opinions / experiences with this breed.

Thanks
Jordan

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You've answered yourself in the question; you just don't ever really know what temperament they will have until they start to mature.........or not!

Most of it is down to training, Spaniels are extremely intelligent dogs and most are very sensitive with it. You have to be tuned in to them constantly when they're young to get them to reach their potential and not be a fizzy
mess. The physical excercise needed is way more than most dogs but that's only half the story, when all the running about is done you have to keep them occupied and give them something to think about and work at - and I mean all the time. Usually, but not always, the hyper fizzy nutcase Spaniels you come across are just frustrated and bored, they have so much energy and it has to come out......if you don't provide stimulus and chanell the energy effectively they'll find their own way to do it and that spells trouble :yikes:

As with all breeds, you'll get the odd one that really is off the scale and there's not much you can do about it; in a lifetime of various Spaniels and other breeds I've never had one that's caused me problems. The reality of it is that as soon as you take one on you have to be prepared to put a large amount of time and effort into the dog for an average of fifteen years, no way 'round that........

But the rewards are immense....................My Molly is now turned twelve and still needs twelve miles a day, every day without exception, and then a lot of interaction most of the time.

Be prepared! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE