Spoon carving implements

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
At the start of this year I happened to bump into Nic Westermann and started a relationship that has been both instructive and heavy on the wallet. I was carving a spoon and Nic expressed an interest in my tools. I showed him my tool roll which had spoon knives from a number of makers, he then told me that he too makes spoon knives and would I like a look? From that moment I was "hooked", he showed me a few spoon knives and carvers that were sublime on their execution and finish and I decided I had to have some. As it happens Nic had none he was willing to part with as he wasn't quite happy with their sharpness!
A few weeks later he offered up three of his carvers for sale and I immediately snapped one up and it's been my most used carver ever since.

nic-5.jpg

After further discussions with nic he told me that he had been working with another green woodworker, robin fawcet, and that he had refined the shape of his spoon knives and would I like to have a look. Of course I jumped at the chance a Pair of blades, left and right handed in the fawcet pattern duly arrived.

nic-2.jpg

nic-3.jpg

I have since bought these I liked them so much and carve nearly all my spoons with them, they have a lovely curve that is just right for doing the bowl shape I prefer with a deeper back and shallow front. This enables me to an entire sweep across the bowl with the blade in contact from front to back, perfect for finishing. Nic supplies his blades either naked or with section of hazel as handles. This is great as they work well as is but you also feel no compunction if you want to reshape them to your own preference, as I have been playing with here.
I personally prefer a slight barrel shape of handle, Although the flexcut shape works well too.
I have since added a third blade to the collection, one which Nic calls a roughing blade as it has a more pronounced curve. Make no mistake it's a wood hog, perfect for kuksas and deep bowls alike, but such is the finish on nics knives that it is equally at home doing finishing cuts on smaller spoons.

nic-1.jpg

If you are in the market for a good quality spoon knife or carver then I wholehearted recommend you speak to Nic.

nic-4.jpg

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
:11doh:A month later and I find this thread! Thanks Paul, spoon knife stock is at an all time low following a recent show but I'm working on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE