Spell check pleeze ;-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have just had to read through a post three times, to try and work out what the poster was on about.

It’s not the first time, it seems to be happening a lot lately.

I'm not sure if it is due to spelling errors or that ghastly text message abbreviation that seems to be generally infecting our beautiful language these days.

Now I realise some people have problems with spelling, I’m no star myself, but if there was a spell check facility on the site it would be a great help not just for the poster but also the readers.

If it is just down to lazy text speak then can I respectfully suggest that if it’s not worth spending a few extra seconds communicating properly, then perhaps it’s not worth communicating at all.... :soapbox:

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Firefox has a built in spell checker which is great, it even does German which comes in very handy :rolleyes: :D

funny thing is, it doesn't recognise firefox as a name so must be spelt fire fox :confused:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Bisamratte said:
Firefox has a built in spell checker which is great, it even does German which comes in very handy :rolleyes: :D

funny thing is, it doesn't recognise firefox as a name so must be spelt fire fox :confused:

IE 7 has got one too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I dumped IE7 after it played up and now use Firefox. If you add the Google toolbar, there is a nice spell checker with it :)

PS, there is a nice free 'add on' for Firefox which lets you download video from a lot of sites, including Google, straight to your hard drive

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Why not just cut and paste from word. I do it all the time, it’s helpful as it not only checks your spelling, and it also gives you a suitable separation, so you have time to think what you are saying. Reply in haste, repent at your leisure.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is probably due to that awful Text writing:rolleyes: , why do people insist on using it when you can write as much or as little as you want to on here. There is no limit, not that I have reached anyway!

That Text writing is down to the fact that you only have so many available characters on mobile phone messages isn't it? I wouldn't know, I don't own one:D

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Tadpole said:
Why not just cut and paste from word. I do it all the time, it’s helpful as it not only checks your spelling, and it also gives you a suitable separation, so you have time to think what you are saying. Reply in haste, repent at your leisure.

Job done Tadpole.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I have to say, while it is very good, the firefox spell checker doesn't half come up with some funny ideas of what you were trying to say! Still some ironing out needed I think! I believe the new Vbulletins has a spell checker, though it will be a little while before BCUK is upgraded.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
If you had the misfortune to struggle with the fundamentals of the written word and, when it mattered most, believe me you’ll make the effort to get it right on a forum such as this if you came through that trauma and at any time in your “three score years and ten”. Even your text messages will be word and punctuation perfect – at least in so far as one’s individual true limitations permit. Trust me on this one please because such an affliction is not only the prerogative of footballers who, thanks to the wider acknowledgement of dyslexia (some may call it a simple “wiring fault”), have found they have an all-too handy excuse for what is so often no more than a lack of application.

For many people who struggle with words it is so often no more than the desire to communicate meaningfully in this manner that sets them on the road salvation. Like so much in life you have to want to achieve something before the gates to wider world our finally opened. And regrettably for us all this is not to be found (to societies benefit at least) through the fug of crack cocaine and the like.

Nothing then too heavy for budget day!

Cheers

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If I'm writing a long post I use the “Word” cut and paste method but if it's a short post I don't bother very often.

As far as the Firefox spell checker goes I've never quite worked out how to turn it on in my copy, and I don't like Internet Explorer in comparison.

I must confess I can actually tell the difference between someone genuinely challenged by spelling or language and the slovenly practice of text speak.

I suppose I was looking for a gentle way of saying how annoying text vocabulary is when you are trying to read a thread.

I tend to just ignore posts that aren’t clearly legible but that can make following subsequent posts more difficult.

It certainly doesn’t encourage me to reply to someone who can’t be bothered to ask a question properly.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do feel like saying "and I don't like that rock and roll beat combos all the young people like either"..but..I hate txt spk too :D

Pass the younger man and the jump leads :eek:

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
To me too much wittling about correctness is too much like work. But when you get posts like this I can't be bothered trying

can neone tell me what tent and knife and mat i should buy and alsowhat sleepingbag and meestin shoud i get what do you think of product x as ive haerd that its quite good but is expensive so i want to know if i can get product z insted and itll still do the same thing ok. thanx lol

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yes - let's have a grammar/spell check that is simple to use and will eliminate TXT nonsence.
As a lousy typist with thick fingers and a command of speling that is poor (due to having been educated in Belgium (speaking French in a Flemish area) at both American and British schools and now living in a very Welsh part of Wales) I find my sell cheque invaluable - especially as I earn my living (or part of it) by ryting.

Poor grammer and dpelling/tiping make everitging hard too read.........
Jogn (dammn - cany spill mi one name sum daze!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE