Soyer stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Anybody know where you can get a army surplus Soyer Stove (they were still being issued in 1991 I've read) or detailed plans of one please?

Yes, watching the first episode of Bullets, Boots and Bandages has set me off!

ATB

Tom

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Didn't know what one is so did an internet search - presumably it isn't this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alexis-Be...29267?pt=UK_art_prints_GL&hash=item416219c133

$(KGrHqF,!h8E8QG2MJQvBPKbuNZSfQ~~60_12.JPG

NO IT ISN'T - THIS IS THE SALE OF A PHOTOGRAPH - SORRY!!

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup its the barrel like contraption in the B & W photo

theres several pics of them in use at this site

http://www.freewebs.com/29thfieldkitchen/armycookers.htm

Its the same type as they have at the start of the film "Zulu", we used them in various forms from the Crimea until the first gulf war in the early 1990s. They were held in stores for civil defence at least until the 1960s and I rather fancy one

ATB

Tom

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Joined in the mid 80s left in the mid 90s never, ever saw them. I was told that the solid fuel field cooker were war stock. Normally the field kitchen trailers were used.

I saw some soyers for sale on fleabay about a year ago. Not seen any since.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, just e-mailed Anchor Supplies who deal with a lot of the more modern field kitchens to see if they ever have them. A nice FTRed one would do me fine.

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rik,

Do you cook inside the top compartment of those Swedish ones? If so they might fill a particular niche I'm considering.........

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Anchor Supplies got back to me and they haven't had any for a few years (but which means that since I've been going there at least 20 that at some point I've wandered past them, thumb up bum, mind in neutral) but they have put me on a waiting list in case any do turn up.

The guy didn't patent the design so the army could make them without hassle but there is a patent for a 1959 conversion to gas or liquid fuel
GB0819804

FLAVEL & CO. Ltd., S. Jan. 21, 1957 [Jan. 20, 1956], No. 2067/56. Class 126 A conversion unit enabling a Soyer field kitchen 1, Fig. 1, to be heated by a gas or oil burner ...

But i can't find a digital copy of it!

I'll keep poking about

ATB

Tom

Don't know where to get them I'm afraid but they were being used by the army in the 90's. I vividly recall using water heated by a group of soyer stoves to shave in Jasper in 1994. If you find a good stash of them post it back here. I've always fancied one.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks Ok not actually available to buy as its in the Museum Of Lancashire as part of a Home Front display but we found this

LudgateBoiler.jpg

Not quite a Soyer but a Ludgate Boiler made in 1950 acording to whats cast on the fire box door. Basically the same except longer legs and a slight change in the arrangement of the fire box I've read. It was made by the Smith and Wellstood Co. which I believed had a foundary in Glasgow or Falkirk. Anyroad one was for sale back in 2004 described as a 12 gallon mash boiler but I rather think that was a reuse as it's described as having a GR VI (kings crown) 1950 legend cast into it which kind of implies it was made for the goverment. The search continues....

ATB

Tom

Buntybunny

Nov 24, 2008
Suffolk
I have never seen them in use in the Army in the 80s or for sale surplus and im old ,,,,:)

LOL! Didn't come across any in the 60's - hope that dosn't make me very old! ;) There was compo. rations with tins that heated contents - can't remember how they worked, had to light the bit at the bottom of the tin. Tin of wine gums and bog paper, not in heated tins, had me chuckling. What a combination!

Saw the prog. about 2 am in the morning, here looking for a stove or ideas for making one! Wonder if they used them in Oz, some early settlers in WA used great stuff i.e Coolgardie fridge!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE