'Source Vagabond' hydration, anyone used?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Hi all,

Anyone ever used a Source hydration bag? I've read they have a better system for preventing the build-up of gunge in the reservoir and tube, and anything that prevents the squits is a good thing, I was also a bit perturbed at how an old Platypus of mine seemed to have sprouted black mould on its insides! So any opinions on Source instead?

I've tried a mates (military) 3L Camelbak in the hydration pocket of my civvie daysack, and it fits good. Ideally I'd only want a 2L Source, as I'm planning on still carrying a solid 1L waterbottle and metal mug 'just in case', and I think 3L total for a day hike should be plenty.

Any idea if a 2L Source would fit the same space as the Camelbak (Thermobak?) would, and what models would fit? They look wider, even if the volume is less...

Cheers!

Ian

Hi all,

Anyone ever used a Source hydration bag? I've read they have a better system for preventing the build-up of gunge in the reservoir and tube, and anything that prevents the squits is a good thing, I was also a bit perturbed at how an old Platypus of mine seemed to have sprouted black mould on its insides! So any opinions on Source instead?

I've tried a mates (military) 3L Camelbak in the hydration pocket of my civvie daysack, and it fits good. Ideally I'd only want a 2L Source, as I'm planning on still carrying a solid 1L waterbottle and metal mug 'just in case', and I think 3L total for a day hike should be plenty.

Any idea if a 2L Source would fit the same space as the Camelbak (Thermobak?) would, and what models would fit? They look wider, even if the volume is less...

Cheers!

Ian

I have a source hydration pack with the tap at the bottom.
Store them in the freezer between uses and you never have to wash them out.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I was lucky enough to be given one of the military hydration packs, which is by Source, and it's now replaced my two Platypi and my Camelbak. The Source is supposed to have an anti-bac coating on the inside, but I always leave a couple of Steradent tabs in overnight for a good clean after a camp or expedition. The tube gets a bit of scrub and is then sent to bed in the freezer.

Good bit of kit in my opinion: bulkier and heavier than Platypus, but more versatile.

Claudiasboris

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Cheers gents, looks like I'll be splashing out on one of the Source bladders then, Platypus is fine but not most hygienic over long periods it would seem and Camelbak is rather pricier and I don't really need the whole integrated backpack thing to wear it alone (just extra space being taken up in my daysack really).

Storing it in the freezer is something I've not done but there again this summer I was using the Platypus most days for 2 months and living out of a rucksack and grip, so that's not always an option.... I normally just try and flush it through with some boiling water once in a while when in use, then steradent it on return if its been a longish time.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I fairly abuse my source system, and have done for the last year. Their 'tastes like glass' claim is no exaggeration - can't knock it! I always empty it between user and just leave it in the shed. All good. I never put anything but water in it though and an careful not to allow any saliva back up the tube...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE