Sorry another pesky 'I want a job in .....' thread but hopefully slightly different!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Hello all

I've pondered posting this because I know how dull these types of posts can become but honestly opinions are needed, no matter what they are! As briefly as possible here is the thing, whilst trying hard not to make this in to a CV.

I've worked for a corporate law firm for 15 years and in that time I've climbed the corporate ladder as much as a none lawyer can, anyway. a few years ago I decided to re-train as a lawyer and had completed the first of two diplomas however whilst doing the course I had realised that this really wasn't me and that I really needed re-assess what I wanted from life and etc and what I could do with myself.

One option I was seriously considering was working within bushcraft/ outdoors pursuits type environment and as such I was looking at appropriate training courses.

However as is often the case things never go quite to plan. Literally within months of my beginning this process, the firm I work for nearly collapsed, there were mass redundancies of which I survived but I took a massive pay cut, pension was stopped and all training was halted so I couldn't even carry on with my Law school course.

My wife who was due to finish a degree became very ill, it took us nearly a year to obtain the appropriate treatment for her, with me becoming her full time carer, whilst maintaining a job on the rocks, and subsequently she was in hospital for 15 months coming out last September but still requires regular treatment and support. Among other stresses and strains having a young family incur debt ensued.

Currently my wife is out of hospital and doing well bar the above mentioned help needed, the firm is improving and whilst there is going to be no sign of pay rises and pension reinstatement for at least another year the potential is there. But what has become evident is that mine and the companies ethos, moral stances have changed and are no longer compatible, so could this now finally be my chance to move on and finally do something that I like, want to do?

So I'm not going to be the next Ray Mears, because of circumstance I have rarely been able to get out for the last couple of years, my skill set fades in to insignificance against most of the members on here for example and financially retaining isn't an option. But playing to my strengths in my time I've been in a TA infantry Regiment, I've done numerous courses, including blacksmithing, expedition first aid, I've been a Community Responder with my local Ambulance Service, I've been an office manager, training manager delivering seminar lectures and 1-2-1 training, researcher, administrator, I've been involved with marketing and legal product design and I am a Qualified Paralegal. But is there a place, obviously in the back office, for someone like me in a bushcraft style company and if so do these types of companies advertise in specific places.

Sorry for self indulgent ramblings but peoples thoughts would be interesting I'm just trying to figure out if this is a realistic option/ route to follow and whether in time that would open other doors and training opportunities or a pipe dream that I need to file away and focus on something else.

Cheers

P

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Its just a thought, but do you have spare time (I can see how busy you've been, and hats off to you) to voulnteer yourself to any local Bushcraft Schools.

Some correctly worded e-mails may possibly end in a win, win situation. With the training you already mention, you certainly have something to bring to the table!

Good luck in wherever your path takes you, al.

udamiano

On a new journey
A lot of recruitment is done via word of mouth, however sometimes you get the adverts in local papers, or mentioned on here. You'll probably won't get any instructor work until you are able to demonstrate the core fundamentals, and have a proven track record, but some careful worded letters to schools in your area might get you some assistant work on weekend courses, which lead to gaining the experiences to go for more instructor based positions

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Thanks Al, that is a good idea and come to think of it it was something I'd started to do back in the day when I was thinking of doing some instructor type courses although I didn't really get any response and with my path taking a sharp turn it just got abandoned. However certainly worth a thought. When I started to write to firms I was avoiding those that contribute a lot on here I guess because I didn't want it to cause any perceived awkwardness.

Woodsman I take on board your comments and agree, hence why I was thinking of whether a route in for me would be more 'in the office', picking up skills, experience etc where possible by helping out although I presume most companies however are very small and are often run from home by the owners, or is this unfair?

TeeDee thanks for the link I'll certainly have a look see.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"But is there a place, obviously in the back office, for someone like me in a bushcraft style company and if so do these types of companies advertise in specific places"

How many companies have back office staff? Woodlore maybe but even they won't have a lot. You have an established legal career and to be honest and realistic you should look at moving within that sphere up or sideways rather than try and move into an industry that if anything is shrinking rather than growing. Bushcraft shops are closing, bushcraft schools are really struggling to fill courses/closing. You've had a tough time of late but for goodness sake don't loose the financial security you have now, foolish for you and potentially disastrous for your family.

Not trying to pee on your hopes but you have to be a realist. I suspect if you deal with your financial problems a weight will lift off your shoulders as it will when your wife improves and you'll have time for voluntary work at weekends, The Scouts et al.

Good luck pibbleb but put your level head on and think hard.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I think as Rich says, its not exactly a booming market at the moment, but what is?
If you do decide to change, skills such as wood work, food, tracking etc can be learnt. What cannot is the ability and personailty to teach a broad range of skills to different age and abilities. I have a few skills i am proud of and often dream of such an "outdoors teaching" life BUT and it is a but few consider,,, I am simply not a teacher. In your favour it sounds as if you are.

So good luck what ever you do.

Last edited:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Richard

Cheers for that, and all fair points and if I'm honest the sort of stuff, no punches pulled, I need to hear. I feel like I've been out of the loop for so long that I'm out of touch but what I'm hearing all sounds to be as I expected but I am just testing the water.

The financial stuff isn't so much of a worry now as worked hard to sort it out but the question of dashing off on courses is well outside the financial realms of possibility.

Thanks for your candor.

Paul

udamiano

On a new journey
Woodsman I take on board your comments and agree, hence why I was thinking of whether a route in for me would be more 'in the office', picking up skills, experience etc where possible by helping out although I presume most companies however are very small and are often run from home by the owners, or is this unfair?.
No I think that comment is quite fair, while many of us dream of large posh offices, the associated cost with these are not usually supported by revenue income to make it a viable option. So either a small rented office space or a home office is the norm, unless you get a nice TV contract then its parties, jet setting, endless fans throwing bits of clothes at you, and so on..........:rofl:

I do wish you luck in your quest however

D

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
From the list of experience you have I think another way into the outdoors field may well be with centres/companies who use the outdoors for development purposes. Personal/management/communications etc; courses are areas that may well suit your background and may even allow you to pick up outdoor experience/qualifications as you go along. Yes, as with a lot of things in this current financial climate there has been cut backs, but it is still an area that some companies are still investing in to get the best from their staff (and it's tax deductible!).

As others have mentioned, volunteering for Scout groups etc, could get you some experience or maybe look at bursaries etc, such as http://www.pyb.co.uk/awards.php.

That's really all I can think of at the mo, whatever happens, all the best.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Thanks for the advice, comments and best wishes every single comment so far has been useful. There is a careers area at the Outdoor show next week and I'm planning on having a good chat with someone there or at lest collecting some nmes and numbers.

Regards

P

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Having left the corporate world in 2009, I went through the same thought process and found that in my existing calling / profession, I was near the top of the pile in terms of skills and reputation, but in outdoor stuff i was a beginner at the bottom and had no realistic way of earning a living. Therefore it made sense to leverage what I was good at for part of the time to earn the money to enjoy the outdoor stuff the rest of the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE