Somewhere to wax lyrical

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
A couple of years ago I read a charming book by Jerry Dennis called "From a Wooden Canoe." It's hardly a world-shaking volume, being a collection of fairly lightweight pieces taken from published columns, but the idea strikes me as something that might adapt well to this forum.

Basically each chapter of the book is a description, usually more memories and emotion than technical detail, of a favourite outdoorsy "thing." The choices are interesting, ranging from an old wool hunting jacket and the delights of a red union suit through to a particular type of match and even the battered old cars used to ferry canoes back and forth on trips.

There are several places on this site where people could write about that one "essential" item, the thing that says Outdoors to them more strongly than anything, but it would be nice to be able to assemble a sort of anecdotal scrapbook without the articles getting lost amidst a flood of replies and other posts. Even the most ardent anti-gear bushcrafter will have something to write about, and why stop at gear? A particular experience, a certain place... it's something that would allow anyone to contribute and give the casual browser a chance to see what it is that makes all these people wander about in the rain all year.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
thanks for that bjb, it goes along with some ideas I have for the main site. I was thinking of having an area that we could put up experiences etc, you have broadened that to a larger scope, which I think would work well. If it goes on the main site it will not get lost in the everydayness of the forum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE