Something strange, any explanations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Whilst taking a walk in the New Forest a friend and I came across what you see in the pictures. I large area of mostly dead or denuded oak trees. It was almost 100 metres across and at least 400 metres long. It was in a sea of perfectly healthy oak trees. There was absolutely no sign of burning - our first thought. The trees had not been bark ringed and because the edges of the area were so clear-cut we did not think disease was a likely culprit. Anybody got any idea of the cause?

P1010697.jpg
P1010696.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It does look like disease. But it may also be a low spot where water has stood for a long period of time. It may even be a combination of both, trees under stress are far more likely to succumb to disease than happy trees.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Any signs of fungal fruiting bodies? Things like honey fungus can kill this way, often getting started due to a campfire leaving way for fungal entry into the ground then radiating out with it's bootlace rhizomes. (where it gets it's other name bootlace fungus)

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Definately very eerie! There was no sign of fungal fruiting bodies. Best explanation so far is localised flooding. Strange that the trees had developed healthily for many years only to be killed off by flooding though.

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
A place I go to often sounds a lot like your describing.

It is a birch forest, 400m x 1000m in size, and half of it is dead. If cut a piece you can see black lines (2mm wide) through the wood - it looks like some sort of infectious bug eating through the tree, and every dead tree we cut has the same thing.

The most alarming thing is that it was bad last year but returning this year it has gotten visibly worse (a lot more dead trees).

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thats called spalting, and usually happens after the tree has died.

A place I go to often sounds a lot like your describing.

It is a birch forest, 400m x 1000m in size, and half of it is dead. If cut a piece you can see black lines (2mm wide) through the wood - it looks like some sort of infectious bug eating through the tree, and every dead tree we cut has the same thing.

The most alarming thing is that it was bad last year but returning this year it has gotten visibly worse (a lot more dead trees).

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've no idea what the cause is.:confused:

However, I'll ask Tom Dearnly, the FC ecologist for Kielder District, if he's got any ideas when I get the chance.

In the meantime, please be careful and wary of "widow makers" or dead branches, coming down without warning, it happens all the time and is one of the more dodgey aspects of spending time in any woodland, particularly broadleaf areas.:yikes:

It was one of the big issues I had to deal with when running my courses for the FC/FoCW in Chopwell wood and elsewhere. I had to have set routes and areas for foraging and material collection and they had to be checked and rechecked for potential deadfalls.

Stay safe.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE