Some recent carvings! Pic heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo! I was diggin' around in the cave the other day when looking for a few bits and whilst rummaging came across my crook knife that I hadn't used in a few months! :rolleyes:

It's one of the medium Ben Orford crook knives I bought early last year and I decided it needed a sheath, as the leather strip currently working as one was.. fine but I wanted an excuse to make a mess of some wood odd cuts.

I sawed off an end from a seasoned plumb log I still had left over and used my trusty hand drill to make the groove and a knife to clean it all out. A scrw ring, leather cord and a bit of raw linseed oil and it works a treat! :)

Seeing as I had some wood left over from the log I figured why not split it and make a spoon or something, so I did! ;)

This wood is fully seasoned, twisty, knotted and hard as steel btw.. a real pain to carve but good strong stuff with a mild grain.

I kind of done a WIP of it as I fancied loggin my progress for future reference.

So, here's the tools, the wood and the little wooden sheath I made the other day for the crook blade.

spoon12a3_zps451c23ce.jpg

spoon12a4_zps34c6eb1e.jpg

spoon12a5_zps377cd740.jpg

And after a little bit of raw linseed oil..

spoon12a1_zpsf5cace73.jpg

spoon12a2_zpsc9ab7f4c.jpg

And some others I done last year that i foud during the inital rummage, don't think I've ever shown pictures of my carvings before..

DSCF4241_zps577c7005.jpg

the big spoon/trowel thing is what I made to scoop ferret kibble so i could accurately measure his food daily!

Hope you like them, the lighter ones are made from elder and the rest the same plumb as the newest one! the little one is still stained in last sumemrs blood :D and the dark curved one has woodworm :eek:

Cheers for checking my stuff out!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice work mate, the one with woodworm what made you go for that design or was it just an experiment, just curious.

I just went with the natural grain alignment in the handle, I figured I'd let it play out. doesn't make for the best using spoon - what with the woodworm and strange shape but it looks alright. It's darker because it was a dead branch on a large plumb tree I felled for a neighbour (hence the woodworm).

very nice, i like the different styled kuksa/spoon with the thumb grip

thank you :) it helps when plunging it into a big sack of ferret kibble!

I also haven't used and sandpaper or anything - as that's cheating! ;)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
:)

thanks for the kind words dudes!

A few more bits of this plumb is to be the handle for a knfie too, so stay tuned!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE