Solognac Sika 70 ultra light full tang knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I am mainly interested in it, because it's really very light. 45g is next to nothing!

(I guess, that doesn't include the sheath, and they forgot to tell us the weight of the sheath, but that can't be so heavy.)

What do you mean with "old steel"?

If something exists very long it's usually not so bad.

Do you know that steel?
Is it easy to sharpen?

Which sharpening tool would you prefer?
A simple small sharpening stone or would you recommend something like the light Victorinox diamond file?

They sell a 60g sharpener too with the same 20* angle, but that's as heavy as the knife, and I don't trust stuff like that, don't know why.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Handle does not look user friendly. Ducktape will hugely improve it, without adding too much weight.
The Aus8 steel is a cheap stainless steel. Does not keep the edge well. But it is easy to sharpen, which is a goid thing.
I guess this knife is made in China?

A classic Mora is about the same weight, and far more user friendly!

Having said that, the knife will do everything you want it to do, like all decently sized knives!
The user is the limit, not the tool!

People today put too much thoughts into knives. Our ancestors used simple carbon steel knives and managed to conquer the World!

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I am mainly interested in it, because it's really very light. 45g is next to nothing!

(I guess, that doesn't include the sheath, and they forgot to tell us the weight of the sheath, but that can't be so heavy.)

What do you mean with "old steel"?

If something exists very long it's usually not so bad.

Do you know that steel?
Is it easy to sharpen?

Which sharpening tool would you prefer?
A simple small sharpening stone or would you recommend something like the light Victorinox diamond file?

They sell a 60g sharpener too with the same 20* angle, but that's as heavy as the knife, and I don't trust stuff like that, don't know why.

Aus 8 is a very old super steel of the stainless family. It’s very low cost and offers reasonably decent wear and relatively easy sharpening. It’s still around on kitchen knives and suchlike but most companies using it wouldn’t stamp the steel type on the blade because everyone knows it’s cheap and plentiful. It’s been overtaken by 440C and others, even the Chinese producers of cheap knives rarely use Aus 8 anymore. For the asking price of £30, you’re being ripped off IMO. There are a lot of skeleton knives out there with better steels at the price, and you’ll only be gaining a few grams in weight for far better steel. The ESEE Izula (1095 carbon) or a Brisa blade. The Brisa blades are really good, I grabbed a couple on a BB group buy a few years ago for £20 each. €23 for a full flat in Sandvik 12C27 is firm competition for your blade. Your is 45g, the Enzo is 47g. Blade length is the same. Your knife has an uncomfortable looking 3 finger handle, the Enzo has many years of design behind it. It’s a no brainer. The Bobtail looks nice too.

https://brisa.fi/brisa/enzo-fulltang-blades.html

There’s a Wikipedia steel page worth a look.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials

For sharpening, I’d get a Diafold in Med/Fine. Very light folding diamond stone with even particle size and very well adhered to the surface so will last a long time.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The blades in your link come without sheath, isn't it?

Yes, no sheath. Some people keep them skeleton and cord wrap, some add scales, so there’s no all round sheath for it.

You’ll need to source either a leather or kydex sheath after. Probably kydex for you if grams are an issue.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
And I guess it's necessary to break the edges of the handle a bit if I want to use it without cordage wrapped around the handles, isn't it?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
And I guess it's necessary to break the edges of the handle a bit if I want to use it without cordage wrapped around the handles, isn't it?

I would think so, they’re ground not stamped blades so have a sharp edge. I think a knife that size would need at least some cord to get a grip on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE