Soften tanned ostrich legs skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blue Racer

Nov 19, 2019
Paris
Hello everyone,

Years ago I got from a farmer nearby some ostrich legs that I worked to get the sinew. I set aside the skins that I tried to tan, but I didn't soften them at the time. Do you think it's possible to do it now? or are they good for the trash bin?
They're like cardboard, very dry and rigid, and very thin btw. I have no idea how to get a soft leather from that.
Any idea?
Thanks a lot for your help =)

BR

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You did nothing wrong, and the skins are ( should be) perfect.
Drying skins before tanning is the technique they used in the past before salt became cheap, to preserve them before tanning.

(Rabbit skin was dried and saved, until enough rabbits were killed and eaten and skins saved.
Grandmother did all that. Grew, killed, cooked and dried the skins. We ate!
:))

You just immerse them as they are in the tanning solution,( as with 'fresh' skins).

Beautiful leather, Ostrich!

Blue Racer

Nov 19, 2019
Paris
Hi Janne,

Thanks a lot for your reply and the tips (plus the kind thought for your grandmother :). Ok I'll try that then, but do you have any idea how I should proceed after the tanning to soften the skins so that I sould make something with? I'm afraid once they dry out to find myself in the same situation.

Have a nice evening

PS: Yes beautiful, that's why I'm trying to "save" them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE