snugpak quality?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 23, 2018
Australia
Hi Forum, I am from Australia, exmilitary, do a bit of rainforest hiking and camping here. I'm a big fan of euro and UK brands, the yanks make some good stuff too if you don't mind 500 internal compartments and mortgaging your house to afford the item. I also know good brands often have a junk line. As such wondered where snugpak fits in, in particular its xocet 35L. Its low cost but any ideas on quality as a general hiking daysack?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Most of snugpaks recent stuff has been very poor imo, the new softies they came out with are shocking both in the design and general quality side.

The bag you mentioned isnt made in the UK, only some of their jackets are sleeping bags are as far as i know, i would avoid it and just get something better locally. If your looking for a good daysack i recommend the cammelbak motherloade, berghaus munro or berghaus centrino.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
That's interesting. I've had a couple of their softie jackets in last couple of years, SJ3 and 6 I think, latest versions, and love them, apart from the token hoods which are a bit silly !

What don't you like about them or found wrong ?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Meant to say though, their rucksacks don't look that good and I've never bothered with them.

5.11 Rush and Karrimor SF Sabres for me.

Aug 23, 2018
Australia
Thanks for the reply Tonyuk and others. Well its dissappointing if another manufacturer bites the dust, they tell me these days karrimor is not what it used to be either?

I owned a berghaus centurio incidentally, lasted almost 6 years in the tropics here which is very good. Also currently still use an old vulcan, 6 years and even the tropics has not put a dent in it yet. I might take a look at another centurio or the munro then. I was hoping for some more internal compartments to be lazy, but maybe bombproof toploaders are best to stay with. Camelbak I'd love but I have a feeling the price here will give me a heartattack.

Thanks again!

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
I have two Snugpak items ( Osprey sleeping bags)
They have two ranges - made in the far east and made in the UK. The Uk made stuff is meant to be better than the far east made and priced accordingly.
The Osprey I have is part of their made in the UK range. Its okay apart from the zip which is a bit crap.
As others have said - not great quality so look elsewhere

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
My impression of Snugpak rucksacks is that they are average at best. As above, a decent Karrimor SF/PRI (not normal karrimor), or 5.11 (such as the excellent Rush 24) would likely be a better bet. If you are after more compartments, and aren't inclined towards the Rush 24, then perhaps consider a Karrimor SF sabre 45, and then get the 'predator' side pockets for it, or go with one of the karrimor SF Molle covered 'predator' range, and add external molle pouches to it.

Reactions: Paulm

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I forgot about my snugpak elite 2, 3, and 4 sleeping bags, very happy with those, well made and pretty bomb proof.

Don't confuse "high street" Karrimor stuff which is mediocre, with the Sabre SF range of rucksacks which are made by a separate business and are solid and great quality.

Aug 23, 2018
Australia
Ah okay so 'Karrimor SF' is still the good part of the brand, that is good to know. I am actually after not too tactical appearance and staying around 28-35L for this one. I might check out what karrimor SF has to offer. The other issue is price, the terrain here eventually moulds and wrecks even the best brands, thats why I am aiming for reasonable price options to keep replacement costs down.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I had a sleeka 35 given to me once which I passed on to a young lad
That weren't bad for the money. Not quite up to karrimor be decent enough

Thinking about it that young lad has half grown kids now lol must have been sixteen years ago

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I also own a Snugpak Sleeka 35 and had it donkey's years.
Apart from fading a bit there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
If and when it dies I'd buy another one straightaway.
It's the only Snugpak item I've ever owned so can't comment on any other items from them, but I've got no quibbles with it whatsoever.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Oh I got my dad a response pack a couple of years ago that was fine

Does the sleek 35 still come with a built in rain cover?
I thought that was a neat addition

Aug 23, 2018
Australia
Thanks for all the advice I am going to go for the Karrimor SF Sabre 30. Similar to the munro it seems but one advantage for me is comes in black which looks a bit more urban aka good for office/gym use as well. Well pleased with the price ranges of these as well. Look out if the yanks ever work out how useful basic toploaders are, they will drive market prices through the roof :D

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Thanks for all the advice I am going to go for the Karrimor SF Sabre 30. Similar to the munro it seems but one advantage for me is comes in black which looks a bit more urban aka good for office/gym use as well. Well pleased with the price ranges of these as well. Look out if the yanks ever work out how useful basic toploaders are, they will drive market prices through the roof :D

I have a Karrimor SF 30 which I have used as an EDC rucksack for some years. Well enough made but IME, not brilliantly comfortable for carrying heavy loads for long periods.

I’m not particularly tall or wide but have the straps at full extension - I’m not sure how anyone much bigger (or wearing many thick layers) would manage.

Not sure how the prices compare but if you can stomach buying anything from NZ, the Macpac kit I’ve had over the years has been top notch.

Aug 23, 2018
Australia
Thanks for the note about size warning, incidentally I'm 18 stone and mostly upper body( aka chicken legs) . Wish I could try one on before buying now...

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Thanks for the note about size warning, incidentally I'm 18 stone and mostly upper body( aka chicken legs) . Wish I could try one on before buying now...

No idea whether this is still the same on current SF Sabre 30s but here is a pic of my 8 year old version showing the length of the strap attachments - the total length of the shoulder strap itself is about 70cm

691EFA2B-BF90-491B-ACFE-E807FD37C72C.jpeg

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
That's interesting. I've had a couple of their softie jackets in last couple of years, SJ3 and 6 I think, latest versions, and love them, apart from the token hoods which are a bit silly !

What don't you like about them or found wrong ?

The stitching on mine (sj6) was starting to unravel straight from taking it out the bag, a lot of it is just single stitching also.

The hood is pointless, fits skin tight and provides no real insulation, makes the collar stiffer, its only attached by about 2 inches of stitching at the back.

The collar is massive! at least twice the size of the old jackets, this means when when fully zipped up there's loads of room for heat to leak out, its gash for fitting under a smock.

The main zip is far too stiff, has poor windproofing, gets caught often. The pocket zips grab the material at least half the times you go to use them. This has been an issue for a while even on the old sofites, but the newer zips are thinner and feel weaker.
The arms fit better, the chest fits a bit better. The diagonal stitching along the front is just for astects though imo and just really works to stiffen it all up.

Overall i liked the old softies and one of them kept me warm in some truely bad weather, but i just returned the new one. Bought a keela jacket in its place, much better.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Sounds like we have different jackets Tony, don't recognise any of that in my two !

Thinking of picking up an SJ9 too just in case we get some real artic weather :)

The high collar is one of the features I like most, it has a volume adjuster cord and lock at the back so that you can tighten it to avoid heat loss.

Anyway, glad you sorted something that you like instead :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE