Snow shovel for a car

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Need to buy a small snow shovel for the car, needs to be small and pretty durable had the plastic type ones in the past but they have a habit of snaping. Any suggestions?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My attitude having tried many is

1) Aluminium blade not plastic (breaks) or steel (heavy and rusts)
2)A longer handle. (If you have to use it, you don't want to be kneeling in snow to do it). If length is an issue get one where the blade comes off and stow the handle along the seat backs.

Happy to photograph the types we use and explain the pros and cons, but thats it in a nutshell

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
It's a trade off between how much snow you want to be able to shift, and how hard and compact snow you want to be able to use it for.
In the city, most times I need one, is when the snow plough has made a wall of snow between my car and the road. This wall can sometimes be from the day before and frozen to compact ice almost. Then a proper spade made for gardening would be the most handy.

The hiking shovels are too flimsy in my view. Too much of a compromise with durability in favour of low weight. Unless you want to pay through the nose.
This is what I and many people I know have in their trunk during winter:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-Snow-Light-141020-Spade/dp/B004BDNIH4

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I saw that one but though it maybe a little short as I understand it doesn't have a telescopic handle, if I'm at home I have a full-size on in my porch so I can just get that. This would be for getting stuck when out and about. Like you say it's a compromise, the shovel on the one I've ordered doesn't look too wide so may not take a large volume of snow away.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Wicks have some close confine shovels in at the moment for a £10. They are small, but sturdy I use one for mixing mortar.

Rob

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that what you're looking for is an avalanche shovel. Google search for lots of choices.
You'd need to dig hard, dig fast with a reliable shovel. Durability is a premium value.

The rest of the local kits that the snowmobilers carry is a Pieps beacon, Avalung and a folding probe set.
Despite that, accidents happen here in the mountains.

There used to be a "devil-may-care" attitude here among the sled-heads.
So many deaths in the last few years has changed the mind-set completely.
Over near Valemount, there are electronic arches that will show a green light if your beacon is functioning properly.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah, they're at the trail ends of the parking lots. Red light as you approach, Green and you're good to go.
Drive through on a red light and nobody wants to know who you are (so I'm told!)

North American Hill Climbing champion lives in Valemount. His sled can pull 450HP on a dyno.

I haven't heard of any here around McBride but Renshaw, Bell & Lucille should be easy to set up.
Maybe the sledders just play off eachother for function.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Not exactly what you're looking for but when I lived in Alaska my wife and I kept one of the folding entrenching tools in the car. They moved snow and if need be could be used as a pick to break up hardened packed snow. Got us out of a slippery spot on a couple of occasions.

Screenshot from 2015-12-03 19:24:45.jpg

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v got a couple of roughneck bits, they are pretty good quality to be fair. the splitting maul and long handled lump hammer have served me very well indeed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE