small hawk heads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
A member of this forum popped by my workshop before Christmas and had a play with a little hawk that I had lying about the place. He was so taken with it that I made him one up shortly after :)

Of course, if you are going to make one little hawk, then you may as well make three! :D

The bottom one has already gone (that was the commission), but the other two are looking for homes.

specs:

Top head is 5" long, 2 1/4" cutting edge, 206g
Middle head is 4 1/2" long, 2 1/8" cutting edge, 296g SOLD
Bottom head is 5 1/2" longe, 2 1/12" cutting edge, 363g SOLD

Made from EN9 spring steel and all sharp, obviously! The eyes are shaped as a slightly more slender form of drop-through tomohawk.

hawkheads1.jpg

hawkheads2.jpg

£60 delivered and including PP fees for each head only. If you would like me to make up a handle and/or sheath, then get in touch and I'll work out how much ;)

thanks for looking

Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
you are officially a git Mr Budd, you always put these things up when im skint:):):)

Tis not fair:(;)

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Dave, I have to say, the hawk has surpassed all my hopes and expectations. It crosscuts incredibly well for it's weight, making light work of seasoned logs Upto 5-6" in diameter, infact it hits so hard I've often only 2/3rds of the way through a log before the hawk smashes through what remains. And again it's being performing equally well on splitting, and battening. I've also tried a little carving which again, was a joy especially as being a hawk you can remove the handle.

I intend to do a proper review sometime in the next couple of weeks but to be honest if you're looking for a small, capable chopper, it's a no brainer. I had been looking at a Cold Steel Trail Hawk before I saw Dave, cheapest I could get that, delivered was about £40, and that's for a (perfectly nice but) mass produced hawk of inferior steel and a softer temper designed for throwing. So a hand crafted, one off hawk for £60 delivered, Like I say, no brainer!

Thanks so much Dave.

Mat

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
normally a hawk is a small head with a proportionally long handle, but most also have a larger eye so that the handle drops through like on a pick axe.

The eye on most hawks is almost round (think fat teardrop) so a makeshift handle is simple to make from a branch. the only problem (apart from rotating in your hand somtimes) is that the head is rubbish for splitting carving because the cheeks (outside of the eye) get stuck or bump into the work, unlike conventional axes that have a slender eye which allows the axe to gluide into/past the work easily. I make most of my hawks with a modified eye shape to give some of teh benefits of a traditional eye with the drop though virtue of the hawk :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Dave, can I put the second one on reserve hold for one week? Getting paid and expecting a tax rebate plus bonus and payrise. But payrole have messed my account up so I need to be sure before I commit! Oh, and wait till My car MOT (today) comes through.....

Looks like a great little Tomahawk that could handle some small splitting. Can make matching handle and sheath to match the blade I got from you at the Moot Too!

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Arrived today! Really nice. Very compact and a good weight, feels great in the hand. Gotta try to keep SWMBO from having it now! Was pretty sharp too, after 5 mins on strop though its scary sharp!

Cheers, looking forward to fixing up a handle and giving it a bash.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE