Small Ammo box wood stove for Polish Laavu.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
One of these 50cal/H83 Ammunition Boxes

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/h83.htm

Becomes one of these for the Polish Laavu :D

100_2477.jpg

100_2480.jpg

100_2482.jpg

100_2487.jpg

addossetup003.jpg

100_2759.jpg

100_2754.jpg

I traded a knife and sheath to a chap who can work metal better than me and he put this together after a few designs between us. Spamel kindly donated this which used to be his box of secrets on serivice!

I need to tweek it a bit to improve its air flow and finish a chimney from a car exhaust. Its upside down as it stands so that the origonal lid can still be opened to clean out, and the handle can be used to carry.

The base (now the top) was cut out and a thicker section of steel welded in to act as a cooking plate and hold the heat better, as well as protect from heat damage.

Flue exits from the rear to maximise space on top, and theres an adjustable damper on the side. Theres a fitted hindged door on the front with a bathroom bolt for fixing shut.

The legs may need adjusting in hieght.They screw into bolts welded on the base. The leg base of the front two have a plate welded on and drilled to take a tent peg, to stabalise the unit when the chimney is fitted.

Burnt the Galv and the Anti IR paint off before used and stove painted.

Soon as ive finished tweeking, i'll take the stove and laavu out for a play while its still cold. Ive used a stove much bigger with no probs other than it took up loads of room and was too warm with the door shut, so this should be the buisness!

Addo :)

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
It's good to see it done, I know you've been waiting awhile now! Looks like it'll throw off some proper heat and all, nice job there!

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
That's fantastic mate! It only seems like a couple of years ago that the concet of in tent stoves caught on in the UK, and the clever people on this forum are already turning out DIY woodburners, it's amazing really. Brilliant job Sir.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the comments

The paint used Launditch1 was Hammerite BBQ Matt black paint. Supposed to be ok, if not i'll get the enamal type they do. I used that reconditioning some Exhausts on my last moterbike and it looked the biz. Good job too as it was a classic

BTW its been nicknamed the AT-AT Stove on the other side :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE