Slightly larger diameter (17cm) wood gas stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 19, 2014
United Kingdom
I've had a couple of 13cm stoves for a few years - the ones which you can't really fuel with a pot on top.

I found out recently about Flame Genie and the Solo Bonfire, and so made my own one for the garden out of an old kick stool and the kitchen bin.

I've seen slightly taller "pattern" 13cm stoves, and I might get one to nest in my Zebra - should take a little more fuel.

But while clicking around I've also started seeing a slightly larger diameter stove, quoted at 17.2 x 25.5cm - eg google for "lanceasy 17.2". It's a difficult thing to search for to see if there are any reviews or similar, I've had a go but seen nothing obvious.

Anyone here with experience?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've made and used a good few of that size, and some a good bit larger; the basic principle of this tlu-d design will work at any scale as long as the ratios between air holes and volume are somewhere near right. I've had a look at the one you mention just now on the web and I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work well, as far as I can tell it looks to be properly designed. I'd expect to get at least ninety minutes from that kind of volume, but the performance of these stoves depends, to a large extent, on the time and care you're prepared to put into the initial 'charge' of fuel you start with; ideally pieces of a size betwixt a pencil and your pinky packed down into the fire chamber fairly snugly but with plenty of air movement through them. It sounds like a real pain, but I collect as I go, and actually find the fuelling of these stoves a very pleasant, zen in a way, activity.

The problem that some folk encounter with these is the heat produced. Because of their efficiency they burn very hot, so you have to use one of those stove-top heat diffusors or hang your pots a little higher above the heat.

It's long been my preffered way to cook when out and about, and you quickly develop a feel, an instinct, for how to best use and fine tune them for your own use; I do it now without much conscious thought, as with all good things it just takes a short time to develop the few tricks if you persevere for a while.

Let us know how this goes, I'd be interested to hear :)

Mar 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Cheers, Macaroon. Will do.

Yes, that's the one - size "D". It appears on eBay, banggood, aliexpress also.

Seemed a decent price for a step up in size of this kind of stove. Still don't know if they're copied or new, or how long they've been around at 17cm. Might open up some larger brews/meals or as a wee fire pit for more than just a couple of folk. It's something like 75% larger internal area, plus it's deeper and should still nest in a modest sized pan.

Reactions: bopdude

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
It sounds like a real pain, but I collect as I go, and actually find the fuelling of these stoves a very pleasant, zen in a way, activity.
Phew.....I’m not the only one then? Pockets bulging with different sized and species of twig!
The whole process is quite calming!! collecting the fuel, setting up for a good burn, feeding rate and size of fuel pieces, achieving a boil......
I have the small toaks wood gas stove (among others!) and love it, it’s so temperamental unless ran correctly it literally forces good process, but when it’s tooting along its spot on.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Wow, that is quiet some difference, I might have to hit the button 'just because' after all, you can never have too many stoves :) The smaller one nests inside the small MSR Stowaway, I'm gonna see what the larger pot measures :)

Reactions: clartynails
Mar 19, 2014
United Kingdom
The pot stand bounces a little - it has a flat, circular flange at its base that nests down on top of the stove with the load then bearing on the inner diameter of that flange, if you can picture what I mean - might not be too hard to find a way to mod. Edit: actually, it's not as bad as I'd thought.

For the price though, I'm well chuffed.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2014
United Kingdom
I usually leave home with the wee stove already packed with softwood pellets for the first burn so I did a wee boil-test comparison between the two, filling the burn baskets level with pellets and lighting each with a wee chunk of fire log. Sheltered, but not flat calm.

Large: 500g pellets in basket, 2" spare for more pellets
Small: 200g pellets in basket, 1.25" spare for more pellets

Large: total burn time 1 hr, useful burn time 45 min, full flame 22 min
Small: total burn time 45 min, useful burn time 30 min, full flame 15 min
(by "useful", I mean between fully established flame and pretty useless coals)

Large: 2 litres water in Kirtley kettle, 9 min 30 sec
Small: 1 litre water in 14cm Zebra, 9 min 30 sec

Worth putting a bit gauze or similar in the bottom, as holes in the burn basket are a bit larger.

The small stove will nest inside the larger stove.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I use a small stove from amazon, I really like it but haven’t tried it with wood pellets, so I need to get some. I made a big one years back from a 5ltr paint tin, a large dog food tin and in inverted Frey Bentos tin with three bolts in the top to stand my pot on. That worked wonderfully, but it’s too big for a walking camp, but fine for vehicle base.

Mar 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Took a 10" log from the wood store, cut it in half (5") and chopped one half to finger-sized kindling. Stacked vertically in the stove and set light with a bit fire log and some shavings (then later a pinch of pellets and a bit meths) - that took about 20 minutes to full flame.

800g ash kindling.

Total burn time 1 hr 30 min +, useful burn time 1 hr +, full flame 40 min
2 litres water in Kirtley kettle, 9 min 30 sec

With the size of the fire, should be a lot easier to add fuel while burning without smothering. All in all, whether as a wee fire pit, or for boiling water for half a dozen folk, I'm still really chuffed with this. Still need to see what it'll nest nicely in.

Anyone else ordering on the back of this? Mine arrived fully tracked in just 8 days.

Mar 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Burn basket fell through the top half last night. I had noticed when I was running on pellets that there had been a curtain of flame coming up from the rim of the burn basket where air was coming up the side. Shouldn't need any more than a wee tweak/flare with a pair of pliers to prevent it happening again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE