Sleeping Members.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Is there no mechanism in force to delete members who have not even been onsite for so long. There is someone in birthday list who hasn't been online, let alone posting, since 2006. Surely this is a waste of space and possible resources.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Umm, probably not as much as us having a discussion about it, now there's a thread, it's getting read by people, i'm replying to it and others will now read it, maybe for a second time.

I've learned from experience that there's a fair number of people that pop in for years and then suddenly want to post, i've deleted a couple of accounts in the past from a long long time ago and had to create new ones for people that email me saying they tried to login but couldn't ...

There's very little resource etc that goes into a profile and as for space, this thread will take up more that a little bit of info in a database somewhere.

Oh, I'll move this out of bushcraft chatter as well;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nah, I got the same response a little while ago when I asked :rolleyes: :eek:
Seems a lot of people join but just never post even if they read frequently.

cheers,
Toddy

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
members who have not even been onsite for so long.

No Doug, I mean people who have registered and then not been active for quite a period of time. Like the first 2 in birthday list haven't been active for about 12 months. I would have thought that if a rule was put in T & C's saying something like "If member is inactive for 12 months or more their profile and membership will be cancelled. Said profile will not be reinstated".
However Tony says it is OK. So thats an end to it. Makes you wonder though. How many of the 10,766 members fall into this catagory.;)

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I was one of these people that went away for about a year. But then I came back. There's also a lot of lurkers.

I'd maybe agree if somebody hasn't been active for 4 or 5 years they're probably not coming back, but for the minor use of resources taken by having an inactive member leave them alone, they definitely shouldn't be barred for life for not logging on or posting.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I do not agree that membership should be withdrawn for not posting. I am a member of British Blades as well and am continually requested to put in a post. I joined B.B in order to gain some information, and was pleased with the information I got. I still use the site regularly, but do not post.. Very much.
I would be more for banning some members, who continually have confrontation with others over matters of little importance. If it was even done in a courteous manner it would not be so bad. I am npot getting at anyone in particular, and have not personally suffered from any criticism or arguments. When I joined a couple of years ago there was very little disagreement, only just good information. I still think this is a great site for gaining skills
and keeping up interest in all things outdoors. If I have a gap in posting, it is because I have nothing to say on the topics in hand, or as happened recently We spilt a glass of Sherry over the Keyboard which was rather costly and put it out of action for a while.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
No Doug, I mean people who have registered and then not been active for quite a period of time. Like the first 2 in birthday list haven't been active for about 12 months.

Oh dear, do people not read posts fully before replying. I am NOT talking about people who regularily log on but dont post. I am talking about people who DONT ENEN LOG ON FOR 12 MONTHS OR OVER.

Does anyone know how I can make it any clearer.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You've made your point, but it's just thought to be unnecessarily bothersome to go through the membership like that.
It's not even used to calculate any kind of tally; if folks want information on the site they ask for 'hits' per day,per month and per year, and statistics about frequency, not a total roll call.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just realised that there may be another query to your question; to remove someone 'entirely' from a site such as this, an interactive forum kind of thing, is just not really feasible. If every action a person had taken was removed then there would be a knock on effect of 'holes' and non sequiturs in threads all over the place.

To remove personal details however, is entirely possible and can be done simply. Passwords and the like can be changed by Admin to ensure that the name and any details cannot be accessed or re-used. The id concerned isn't banned but simply permanently mothballed.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:
'spose it might be :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't know how else to say, "Non following, flowing, or continuous conversations", neatly :confused:

As Sundays go, this one's sleepy :)

cheers,
M

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Just goes to show. We can have reasonable discussions.
I was going to stop this discussion, but it just keeps going. It is nice to have a sensative discussion without it going off the rails and getting locked or closed down.

Another forum I visit sent out a mailing to every member, even the regulars, asking those who had not logged in for 'x' months if they wanted to remain, and that any dormant members who didn't log in within a month of sending the message would have their accounts removed.

It worked pretty well in bringing a few people back into the discussions :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thats a good idea womble, but it would still be a lot of work for the admin team, unless it is something that can be programmed automatically.

This forum proberly has quite a few members that aren't sleeping but are off doing other stuff like active service or are in the back of beyond somewhere. But looking though the members list there is quite a few that join, make no posts, and have no activity regestered for years. I can't see any reason for those type of accounts to be active, apart from it would be quite a job to remove them all, unless again it could programmed in.

I know I have dormant accounts on some forums. Dr onions world of strange I have never posted on, outdoor idiots I have forgotten my password, and other places the forum doesn't float my boat. If I had my account deleted on them I wouldn't be bothered, in fact if I hadn't even looked at place for years I would rather hope they would delete my account.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE