Sleeping Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Atomic Bimbler

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2006
Cheshunt, Herts
twitter.com
Hello, did a fair bit of winter camping last year (think im a bit wrong, i enjoy 'wild camping' more when its lashing down or snowing lol), but got a bit fed up of having to wear all the clothes i had with me at night in my sugpak elite 3, so for this season im going to splash out on a new sleeping bag :D .

There are so many to choose from but I have whittled it down to these 2:

(A) Woodlore Golden Eagle
(B) Nanok Endurance sf -25ºC (£20 cheaper)

Your advice would be greatly appreciated, even if you throw a spanner in my plans by offering other alternatives :lmao:

Thanks

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Are you in a tent or a hammock or on the deck ? Have you used a bivi bag aswell, I find I`m too warm if anything in my elite 4 when I combine the two.

It`s down to the kegs before I get in and I`ll probably end up unzipping the bag half way through the night aswell.

Rich

Atomic Bimbler

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2006
Cheshunt, Herts
twitter.com
Thanks Rich

I normally use a bivi bag on the floor. ( I wriggle too much for a hammock) and if weathers a bit iffy, i'm under a tarp, but I like to have it open at the sides.

My last cold trip was in the Snowdonia area, just after easter. We had rain, sleet, snow, hail etc. Ended up fully clothed with thermals and even put on my mountain shirt. I like to be snug at night :) am also hoping to have a trip to Sweden, so would like it extra toasty

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I use a Nanok Endurance -10 and a goretex bivi/thermarest combo.

Keeps me lovely and cosy in the colder months! The stuff sack on the Nanok is a bit dodgy though!

Dan

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Two of the straps ripped straight off of mine. :rolleyes: rubbish!!

Dont let this put you off the bag though, they really are superb. You can buy another stuff sack for around a fiver that'll take much more abuse!

Dan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The -25 is bleeding enormous! I have one - I know. BB loves it for car camping as its super toasty but it is really, really big. I hope you have a 100 litre sack or forget it

Did I mention its big?

Red

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
The -10 fits in the bottom compartment of my Sabre 60-100 a treat.

Glad i didint get the -25 though, heard its REALLY big! ;)

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Slept out in january. think it got to about -1 or -2.

Was pretty toasty all night. i seem to sleep better when its really cold outside though!

Good bags mate, you wont regret it! :D

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
What sort of budget are you looking at? Going by the bag's you have mentioned i'm assuming you can spend around £100 - £130. For that money you could get yourself a reasonable down bag. This will give you as good if not better insulation but at a fraction of the pack size. If i may be so bold as to suggest considering Alpkit or TNF. In fact there are a fair few down bags available for that price that will not take up your entire pack load.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Haha, I thought my nanok -10 was big, can't imagine what the -25 is like!
Atomic Bimbler I too use an elite 3 most of the year, i prefer it 'caus like I said it's a lot smaller and lighter than the nanok. A silk liner is great if you want some more insulation (also keeps the bag clean) then you can add a fleece liner too. Plus I'm usually in a bivy bag so although I'm a fairly warm sleeper I'm usually pretty toasty with that lot even on snow. A couple of (cheaper) options maybe unless you really want a new bag

Atomic Bimbler

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2006
Cheshunt, Herts
twitter.com
Thanks guys, do u fine liners restrictive??

I do need to get another sleeping bag anyways, as my boys are growing at an unbelievable rate :)

I do like my snugpak and could go for an elite 4 or 5, they r quite reasonable in price but are the Nanok or woodlore any better quality?

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
The woodlore bags are made by nanook (I'm sure it says that somewhere on their site), but to slightly different design. The nanooks (the military ones anyway) have zips either side which make it easier to get in and out of, but I think the woodlore have a single centre zip (like british army bags). As for quality, nanook is very good indeed (apart from carry bag, but you can always get a better one elsewhere).

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
I have Woodlore Golden Eagle, osprey and I also have a friends Nanok Endurance -10 in the house.

Just been up in the loft and took some pictures to give you some idea of the sizing.
004.jpg

From left to right, Golden Eagle,............................................... Osprey and............................................ Endurance -10
placed next to a Steel Billy Can 12cm

Compressed
003.jpg

From left to right, Golden Eagle,............................................... Osprey .......................................... Endurance -10

The only reason I bought the Ray Mears ones was the centre zip and that the Nanok Endurance two zips twice as much to go wrong. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE