Single pole tents and lighting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Hi all,

I have a Tentipi 9 and was after some useful advice on how to hang stuff from the central pole such as a lantern/kettle or a coat.

Any thoughts?:confused:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have hung my petromax lamp from a Tentipi pole with a hanger whittled from of a length of wood. It was around thirty centimeters by eight and maybe one deep, at one end I cut a hole slightly larger than the pole so that it would be held in place by friction when the lamp was hung from the far end. Here is a rough sketch (the cut for the pole tapered inwards slightly so it wouldn't readily slip off)...

pole.jpg

It worked well even in rough weather when the central pole was flying back and forth. If you plan to make one it should be at least thirty centimeters long otherwise the lamp will clatter of the pole when its windy :)

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Poundland are doing some market stall style sprung clips which will do the trick for this and probably other things.

I think there are four in a bag.

Cant remember how much :D :D :D :D

GS

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Ho ho. Taunton Leisure want a tenner to post their lantern hanger to me. I don't think so....

Another solution is to unbend some coathanger wire, make two small hooks either end of a two-foot piece and hook one end through the loops in the corners between the fibreglass rods at the top of your walls (if you have a tentipi you will know what I mean) then hook your lantern over the other. The lantern hangs nicely away from the pole that way

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Another solution is to unbend some coathanger wire, make two small hooks either end of a two-foot piece and hook one end through the loops in the corners between the fibreglass rods at the top of your walls (if you have a tentipi you will know what I mean) then hook your lantern over the other. The lantern hangs nicely away from the pole that way

Yes but it'll jump around more, I know this having fashioned a circular drying rack from a piece of willow and attached it to the fiberglass rods, when its very windy the whole tent jumps about, however the pole remains stable(ish) :D

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
What i do in mine, is use paracord whipped around the pole at about 3/4 up then tie the other end on the internal hanging tabs on the inside of the fly (on mine they are about 1/2 way up. You can then tie knots along it to hang various items. Makes for a great drying line and keeps my candle lantern at a nice hight (make sure you have a good distance so the cord doesn't melt, although i've neve had a problem)

Baggins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE