Singer 29k15

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I just got this machine hopeing to sew some leather and webbing. Is there anyone on this site who uses a simlar sewing machine that can give me some advice on setting it up. I think I have worked out how the thread it. Now I need to know about oil in oilbath and where to buy the right thread. I need something that wont rot I dive so it will be getting very wet :)

David

I bought an old sewing maching and could not set it up. I did find that most manuals for old machines espially singers are available from the web. Possibly the best thing to do is what I did and that was take it down to a sewing machine dealer to be serviced and you will get all the help in setting it up for free included in the service!

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
thanks woodsmoke :)
but I can make it sew, I was hoping someone would say yes ive got one of those and you need to do this to make it work supper cool..... sort of thing.

what threat you sewing with ?

David

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I don't have the machine you have, but I do sew leather, heavy canvas and webbing on it. Mine is a Pfaff but is still a domestic machine.

A few tips. Use the largest spacing your machine will allow (stitches widest apart) for leather otherwise the seam can rip if they are too close together.

Slacken off the thread tension if the thread keeps breaking.

Use talcum powder on the underside (dust it on and shake it off). You'll find your leather slides effortlessly under the foot. (You'll need to clean out the shuttle regularly though).

Use a strong polyester/cotton thread. Test it by trying to break it by pulling. If you can break it, it's no good for leather.

Use either leather needles or denim needles size 16 or 18. The tips of the leather needles are shaped in a way to make it easier to cut through the leather. Normal machine needles just push a hole in the material, that's no good for leather.

Practice on scrap material first and just see what the machine is capable of.

At the end of the row of stitching, use the reverse function to double back half a dozen threads or so to lock the ends off. That way you don't need to tie knots at the end of the bIt you've just stitched.

Hope this helps (the talc tip is handiest in my opinion).

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE