Simple Black Belt Sheath & Vinegaroon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm having a bit of a leatherworking binge at the moment, having made a couple of axe masks, a billhook sheath and now this simple little belt sheath as a birthday present for my good old Dad:

02188127-ac2c-3588.jpg

And a bit of a close-up of the stitching:

02188127-ac42-b7fc.jpg

It's nothing particularly special to look at, as it's only comprised of three pieces of leather, but it fits the bill for its intended use. What I'm especially proud of is the colour I the sheath; evidently black, which I managed to achieve with some homemade vinegaroon (vinegar black). The concoction was made by adding steel wool to distilled vinegar which was left for just under three weeks, and was stirred daily. I wasn't confident that the vinegaroon was as strong or effective as it could be, as the sheath dried to a dark grey colour. In light of this, I trialled a few pieces of leather with various finishes before I settled upon a light application of boot polish to the sheath which provided the final finish.

If anyone is interested in making vinegaroon, a very useful tutorial by 'g4ghb' can be found here;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38816

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Nice work:)

You can get the same affect as vinegaroon by dissolving iron tables (from the chemist) in vinegar, saves the wait.

Cheers

Richard

I tried that after I saw your post on g4ghb's tutorial so I bought some in attempt to buy myself a bit of time if it went wrong: It did! My leather turned deep reddish brown, before shrivelling up to nothing. I'm glad I tried it on a scrap of leather and not a sheath. I've since learned that Holland and Barrett use a different form of iron now, and mix it with various other minerals. I'm still looking out for different sources of iron tablets though, as anything's gotta be an improvement on my current 'Vinegar Shed' malady.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I tried that after I saw your post on g4ghb's tutorial so I bought some in attempt to buy myself a bit of time if it went wrong: It did! My leather turned deep reddish brown, before shrivelling up to nothing. I'm glad I tried it on a scrap of leather and not a sheath. I've since learned that Holland and Barrett use a different form of iron now, and mix it with various other minerals. I'm still looking out for different sources of iron tablets though, as anything's gotta be an improvement on my current 'Vinegar Shed' malady.

No worries I used some called "Ferograd" they worked ok.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE