Simple BB Code examples to improve your posts.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Some of you have seen posts of mine and asked "How did you do x?" So I figure it's worth doing a quick cheat sheet of some of features you can use.

Quoting:

By default if you use the reply with quote option you will get the original posters text in [quote] and [/quote] tags at the top, and you reply underneath. If you want to reply to each paragraph individually you can add quote tags round them. For example:

[quote]
this is the bit that the person you are replying to originally said.
[/quote]

This is your reply.

[quote]
They said this too.
[/quote]

and this is your reply to that bit too...

Which looks like:

this is the bit that the person you are replying to originally said.

This is your reply.

They said this too.

and this is your reply to that bit too...

Linking to threads:

To link to a thread use the [thread=133429]text[/thread][plain] tags.

For example, the code: [plain][thread=133429]this text links to this thread[/thread]. It'll look like this in use:

[thread=133429]this text links to this thread[/thread].

Linking to other websites:

To link to a thread use the [url=...][/url] tags. For example:

The code: [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushcraft]this is a link to wikipedia[/url].

Looks like this: this is a link to wikipedia

Including Images:

There are various ways you can include images, depending on how you want to do so, if you have a photo hosted elsewhere (flickr or your own website). Just use the [img][/img] tags. For example, an image from one of my posts is linked as so:

[img]http://photos.quixotic.eu/cordreview/groupshot_320.jpg[/img]

Which appears as so:

groupshot_320.jpg

If you want to use an image as the content of a link you can encapsulate [img][/img] tags inside [url][/url] tags.

For example:

[url=http://photos.quixotic.eu/cordreview/groupshot_720.jpg][img]http://photos.quixotic.eu/cordreview/groupshot_320.jpg[/img][/url]

Gives you:

Tables:

If you want to include a table in your post, you can use the table tags. This is a whole set of tags of various table tags to generate tables of varying complexity. I won't go into all the tags available, the best option is to use a bbcode table generator. This allows you to type in the data, and it creates the code that you can then copy+paste into your post.

An example of this table code:

[table]
[tr]
[th]Column A[/th]
[th]Column B[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Alice[/td]
[td]Purple[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Bob[/td]
[td]Green[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Eve[/td]
[td]Black[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Which looks like:

Column AColumn B
AlicePurple
BobGreen
EveBlack

The above is just a subset of some of the things you can do, if you use "Go advanced" or "Post New Thread" or "Reply With Quote", you can scroll down to a section titled "Posting permissions", in the right hand column is a list, including the link "BBCode is on". Click on that for a full list of all the BB code that BCUK forum supports. Note the table stuff isn't listed, but it does seem to work.

Hope some of you find this useful, by all means bookmark it for reference. Happy posting.

Julia

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
can anybody tell me how to start up a new topic. i.e landrover etc

Goto the section of the forum you want to post under, so about landrovers, would be the "Transport - 4x4 - Canoes etc", then near the top, below the alpkit advert, should be a blue button that says "Post New Thread"

Click that, and it'll give you a page to enter your post...

J

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Very helpful Julia, I keep meaning to get my head round useful shortcuts like that.

thumbs up icon would be handy here.

cheers, QG

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Thank you; again, haven't got round to learning it yet to speed up posting - this looks like a 'go to' to crack it. Thanks maid!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE