"Sigg" type bottles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Just a quick heads up, Sports World are doing Karrimor branded Sigg style thermal drink bottles for £2.69, approx 1 pint capacity.

Dave

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds good, I will have to try and get there before the offer ends. Bargain at £2.69 compared to Sigg. Plus they are from a reputable company.
Did I hear right that Karrimor have been taken over by Lowe Alpine?

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Quick update, I used mine at the weekend and I can't say its very insulating. If you fill it with cold water the outside turns cold immediately, so they're really just metal water bottles.

Dave

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
MartiniDave said:
Quick update, I used mine at the weekend and I can't say its very insulating. If you fill it with cold water the outside turns cold immediately, so they're really just metal water bottles.

Dave

Pretty much like any Sigg bottle then.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Reviving an old thread.

Sports World still have these bottles at 2.69.

No they are not thermal, they are the same as a SIGG bottle but way cheaper and I actually like it better.

Here's a picture from another company, same bottle just a different brand stamped on it.

011260.jpg

I got a silver one, easy to find in the dark, but they have a variety of colours. Good quality and a low price. I give them the thumbs up.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Got a couple today, they're the 1 litre/2 pint ones :) , does'nt say anywhere that they're thermal though :confused: . Still good though, might try and get another couple tomorrow. Has anyone used them for storing or carrying fuel, meths etc?

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
My recollection was that the Sigg drinks bottles are lined with a laquer to prevent tainting of their potable contents by the ali, and the silver fuel bottles were unlined..... the problem of corrosion being due to long term storage of meths etc. within.

At the end of the day it's just another bottle, and as long as you're sure not to mix drinks and fuel bottles by mistake, then it's going to carry your fuel just as well as any other, plastic or otherwise.

One thing to bear in mind however is that the bottles intended for use with pressurised liquid fuel are reinforced at the shoulders etc. and as such are the only ones to be used with the pump and their particular stove unit.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Storing fuel like petrol and parafinn is no problem in these bottles, but meths should not be stored, it attacks the screw top, and after a while buggers it up completley. Use a throw away bottle or a pucker Trangia Fuel bottle for meths storage.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
scottishwolf said:
Got a couple today, they're the 1 litre/2 pint ones :) , does'nt say anywhere that they're thermal though :confused: . Still good though, might try and get another couple tomorrow. Has anyone used them for storing or carrying fuel, meths etc?

I have had nothing but good experience from carrying fuel in them. In fact, if you look at MSR, Primus, etc, multifuel stoves, they almost always use a Sigg-style bottle for fuel containers.

As drinking bottles - no. I much prefer the 'indestructible' polycarbonate see-through bottles as they don't impart any flavour to your water, you can see how much is left, and you can see what you are drinking.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
The reason I started using the metal bottles was mainly because the plastic ones get stood on or kit thrown on them and then the contents spray out.

I'm into drinking fruit juice and the plastic ones seem to retain an odour even after washing. Also the nozzles are difficult to keep clean. It is easier to drink out of them though.

I use both plastic and metal but generally I prefer the metal ones.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use metal bottles for parafinn and Coleman, but you will have problems storing meths in them, the seals/screw topes will fail which is why I suggested using plastic bottles for meths/alcohol. This is a common problem noted amongst my fellow stove collectors, any chemists out there who know why this failure happens?

Also be carefull using metal bottles under pressure with stoves like the Nova etc, although the threads on the tops may be the same, the cheaper bottles may not be made to operate under pressure so please use designed fuel bottles only and not drinks bottles for this purpose or a big bang could follow :eek:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Rebel said:
I'm into drinking fruit juice and the plastic ones seem to retain an odour even after washing. Also the nozzles are difficult to keep clean. It is easier to drink out of them though.

Have you tried Nalgene bottles or similar?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE