Sievi "Light Boots" - Three Season Boots for Subarctic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Sievi "Light Boots" are professional polyurethane boots made by a Finnish manufacturer Sievi in the municipality of Sievi. They are available in three configurations without a steel cap: without laces (BLACK, RED and OLIVE O4), with laces (OLIVE LACES O4) and with laces and lining (WARM O4). I will here review the BLACK O4 version.

The boots are made out of one piece 4 mm thick microcellular polyurethane. The shaft is around 40 cm high, but can be cut down to around 30 cm high if shorter shaft is preferred by individual. These boots in the largest size in the original shaft length weight only around 1.5 kg per pair, while conventional Finnish rubber boots of equal size weight around 2.4 kg per pair according to my measurements.

I have used my pair for almost two years now and then and they look like brand new. Similar durability are observed by the people posting their comments in Finnish in the Internet. Below I have posted some photographs of types of terrain I have used the boots. Since the polyurethane is much better insulator than rubber, I only use two thin socks to prevent blisters. This is sufficient for me down to zero.

Apart during the winter, these boots are the best all-around boots I have used.

Conclusions (for BLACK O4):

+ Cheap (50 - 60 € retail)
+ Durable and easy to repair
+ Absolutely waterproof
+ Lightweight and relatively good insulators
+ Built without lining, which makes them easy to dry

- Will not stand temperatures below zero as much as rubber boots due to the inherit properties of polyurethane
- Are not available in sizes greater than 47 EUR.

Sievi.com - LIGHT BOOT BLACK O4
Sievi.com - LIGHT BOOT LACES O4
Sievi.com - LIGHT BOOT WARM O4

SLB.jpg

SLB2.jpg

SLB3.jpg

SLB4.jpg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Are they very warm/uncomfortably warm in, say, summer? What is the sole like, both for traction in slippery conditions (mud, snow and wet...) and in terms of cushioning on longer outings/walks?

I'm looking for an alternative to my wellies and these might just tick the necessary boxes...

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Are they very warm/uncomfortably warm in, say, summer?

As I wear only thin socks, not to my mind. The excellent insulation value of the polyurethane also works to prevent sunlight of warming up the air inside the boots. Anyway, the boots get wet now and then during the day and this will cool them down a bit.

What is the sole like, both for traction in slippery conditions (mud, snow and wet...) and in terms of cushioning on longer outings/walks?

I have not slipped once wearing these boots. The soles are not the thickest, but they are designed to be worn by e.g. farmworkers on slippery manure. I have no experience of traction on ice as these are not winter boots per se. Here's what the soles look like:

Outsole.jpg

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
In the latest edition of the "Erä" magazine (see the link for photographs of the test conditions), Sievi Light Boots scored 3.87 points out of maximum of 5.00 (Safari Angler scored 4.24 and Viking Elk Hunter 4.04 points). According to the magazine, the main upsides were their lightness and the ability to dry fast. The only downside was the stiffness of the boots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE