show your modified Opinel knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
As the top .
I was bored one night so i modified the one i have.
I curved the blade on a stone to give a long cutting edge then took a file to the handle, this is what i ended up with. No8

img1573l.jpg

img1575b.jpg

Cheers Topknot

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I just modified the blade to make it more of a drop point and reshaped the handle. This is a number 8:

..and a 12:

Last edited:

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Hi to all!

inspired from "steven andrews" post I´ve decided to re-shape my opinel as well.
I´ve grind the blade into a droppoint form and shaped the handle for more comfy.
After all that work (which took me 30min.) I´ve wood stained the handle in dark brown.
The texture of the wood took the stain unequal so it became a old used look which I find is very nice.
This was originally an Opinel No.9 and on the Pic you can see the finished product with two different light conditions.

Thx for inspire me - hope you like it

greetings from Austria
Mike

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
This is a very appropriate post to come up now. I've just been planning on doing this for my girlfriend who is currently knifeless and is going travelling in 2 weeks. Was originally planning on replacing the handle entirely but I have been laid up in bed for 2 weeks and counting, with glandular fever so probably don't have the energy (however I am still on the lookout for a tutorial on how to do this). I'm probably going to reshape the beech handle and do some pyrography work on it.

Does anyone know the cheapest (and relatively quick) supplier of opinels? (no.6)

Cheers
Pete

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Did this quite a while back now to an Opinel No.8. Filed the point to make it a drop point, and reshaped the handle to fit:

10Finished11.jpg

10Finished13-1.jpg

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
before i attack mine with sandpaper and files i was wondering why all yours say opinel france but mine says opinel carbone. is it because its new?

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
before i attack mine with sandpaper and files i was wondering why all yours say opinel france but mine says opinel carbone. is it because its new?

No man,it states only that yours is made out of carbon(carbone) steel instead ox stainless(inox).

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
if you want to see some seriously cool Opinel mods, then this guy has got to take the biscuit!

http://michel.montlahuc.free.fr/rob.htm

I met him in at the knife show in Belgium and his carving is brilliant. Mostly he uses the handle that is already attached to the blade from the factory. There are a whole bunch of other customisers on that site, just click on the names ;)

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
if you want to see some seriously cool Opinel mods, then this guy has got to take the biscuit!

http://michel.montlahuc.free.fr/rob.htm

I met him in at the knife show in Belgium and his carving is brilliant. Mostly he uses the handle that is already attached to the blade from the factory. There are a whole bunch of other customisers on that site, just click on the names ;)

Wow, some of those are ridiculously impractical... but amazing! For example:

8VRI%20grenouille.jpg

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I would have loved to put mine up but unfortunately I discovered it still in my trouser pocket when I was about to go through security at Sofia airport. I had no choice but to throw it in a large plastic dustbin and say goodbye to it forever. I'd had it for nigh on 10 years through thick and thin.

Time I modded another for myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE