Show Us Your Lanterns. (the thread formerly known as: -Northern Lights Lanterns -UCO)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well as discussed with Clouston98 (Cameron) here are some pics of my old Northern Lights Lanterns (before they became UCO).

The Alpine has the Oil Insert as the candles could have spring problems in the severe cold. They could all take a simmer ring which you could rest your brass Sierra cups on to cook or keep your brew hot. Have three cups but they need the Brasso at the moment.

Alpine Lantern, holds enough fuel for about 6- 7 hours;
IMG_0696.JPG

Ultralight Lantern, holds enough for over 17 hours of light;
IMG_0697.JPG

Both folded down;
IMG_0695.JPG

Top view;
IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

Had them a long time, the other has a crack in the glass but still works. They don't weigh much and pack away nicely. Have lit and warmed me in many a snow-hole.

What lanterns are you all using?

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Some really neat lamps there Colin! Thanks for posting those pictures :).

I've got a UCO brass candle lantern now, I do like it!

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You could put those up on the "Antiques Roadshow" GB.:)

Only if you took 'em!, Still Mrs Kelly says that old things are nice luckily for yourself...:lmao:

Seriously though I think it was about 1988 I bought them for a winter ice-climbing trip where we were snowholing. Only needed one in the snowhole - you don't want it melting.

So I reckon they've got 10 years on Cameron.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They do, I wonder if I'll be outlived by a lantern? :) maybe in 100 years time they will be on the antiques roadshow, I know I won't be ;).

Get someone famous to sign your cast and it might be!

"...and here is the cast signed by John Fenna!, you know it's his signature as he always used pink ink...":eek:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Get someone famous to sign your cast and it might be!

"...and here is the cast signed by John Fenna!, you know it's his signature as he always used pink ink...":eek:

:lmao::lmao: should have a little photo in black and white to go with it! :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I could just change the title of this one?, then I can post up the petrol monsters too...

Nice combo though Cam, How long does a tank last on the mini?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I could just change the title of this one?, then I can post up the petrol monsters too...

Nice combo though Cam, How long does a tank last on the mini?

Cheers Colin, I couldn't ell you to be honest, but a long time, burns slowly :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Going to change the name of the thread to "Show us your Lanterns" and we can just continue to post to it, a wee explanation of making the mini UCO sound like a Job for SuperKelly! I would be interested. I did something about making Reed lights a while back with rendered fat. I am pretty interested in old lighting, one of my favourites still has to be a scallop lamp, just look so nice and so simple.

In fact the shells are pretty handy drinking cups for shallow pools, scoops, and I keep a small one in my tinder box for lighting embers in and moving them around.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Going to change the name of the thread to "Show us your Lanterns" and we can just continue to post to it, a wee explanation of making the mini UCO sound like a Job for SuperKelly! I would be interested. I did something about making Reed lights a while back with rendered fat. I am pretty interested in old lighting, one of my favourites still has to be a scallop lamp, just look so nice and so simple.

In fact the shells are pretty handy drinking cups for shallow pools, scoops, and I keep a small one in my tinder box for lighting embers in and moving them around.

They are brilliant Colin, I feel yet another project brewing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE