Shortage of Bushcrafting sites?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Before my illness I used to hear people talking about a shortage of suitable sites for Bushcrafting in. Is this not the case now?
i found a5acre wood between Otley and Ilkley. The farmer is a friend of mine and we would be allowed to have open fires on the ground. Plenty of dead wood on the ground, an ideal site,or so I thought
A friend and myself were going to run it. The friend found that he had too many commitments and then I started an intense course of chemo.
Since then I have had 4other people who said they would run it and found they were unable to.
originally this was going to be invite only due to wanting to keep the numbers small . It was also going to be subscription only, £50 for the year.
Any takers to help run it. I am looking for a couple of people who have no commitments and live locally.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Ian , I remember the first thread on this wood.
I wish I were closer and could help out but a little too far for a regular commitment.
How are you feeling now? I'm still interested in the potential for a weekender at this
site now and then : it looked ideal.
I hope you can find some local help to get it up and running: there must be some
members living round there surely.
Cheers , Simon

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I'm not far away - I was interested last time, but wimped out of one of the meets I think, due to work and high winds!
What would be involved in the helping to run it?

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Thank you Resnikovv and Mick W. First there are a few dead standing trees to fell. These cen be burnt. Then basically it is just common sense. Making sure no one fells living trees, takes all their rubbish home with them. Originally it was going to be a subscription sit. By that I mean a £50 subscription for 12 monthly meets.
We are allowed to have open fires. There are couple of streams that run through the site they have become blocked and want clearing. The farmer might do that. this should then drain the bottom of the site. Thereby giving us more land to use.

That is basically it,.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I live in Bradford and have a chainsaw so am happy to help with tree clearing etc, could also do some weekends but usually get booked up well in advance so need notice !

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I work shifts so available not every weekend, but sometimes through the week instead. I'd be happy to help out with some of that kind of basic stuff. No particular woodland management skills but fit and healthy and willing to learn etc.
If you need a hand, could you PM me and we can sort something out...

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well so far I have received 3 pm,s. I was hoping for about 10-12 people to make the job easier. So come on lads,let's be hearing from you. Originally there was about 30 people interested in this wood. Where have they all gone?? People who turn up for a working weekend will be at the top of the list for membership. Surely all you people out there in Yorks,Lancs and surrounding areas don't expect to come to meets where other people have put the work in? Do they??

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well I now have 6 names, halfway there.. But can we get ALL the way there.. I am going to give this another week and then, sadly, pull the plug on this.
Will wait and see what happens.

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
I'd love to say I could help but it's too far for me to travel regularly, and I don't have enough alone-time to spare :(

Maybe make a new thread in a different forum section with a clearer title? That might get you the extra people you need.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Hi Ian, glad to see you posting again, I guess you're feeling better I certainly hope so.

I was interested in the original set-up, but in all honesty I'm too far from the site to help run it and unlikely to get over enough to justify taking a place from someone with fewer commitments.

Best of luck with it though.

Al

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Sadly we seem unable to get 12 good men and true. So I have no alternative but to pull the plug on this site . It is a pity because it would have been a good site.
Thank you for the 6 people who were prepared to do a bit .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE