Sheath For A Battered Old Machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Hi...a friend of mine found this old machete at a dump and asked me to do him a sheath for it...he said 'no need to do anything fancy....a rough job will do'.....but being a lot wider at the end than the top wouldve required me to basically make him a 'bucket', so loose at the top it wouldve wobbled back and forth....well we cant have that can we, so instead I caused myself a whole ton of problems trying to make something that gripped the hardly curving blade firmly and fiddling around getting the strap ends to met up with the press stud bases at the correct angles....the bases need to be put in first so you never really know if youve got it right until the end...but its rock solid with zero movement and to be honest i'm glad its finished....yet to edgekote the edges but for now its going to one side...

comments appreciated!

regards

s

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
That's really nice work, hopefully it'll inspire him to restore the machete and do the sheath justice.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a bit like taking a Dartington champagne flute and putting woodpecker cider in it :)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
That's really different! goodjob

looks well secure too.

Any idea if he has any plans to revamp the machete?

Ste

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Crikey! Tell him to go buy a proper Machete for that now Sonni!

How can anyone take a piece of crap like that to you for a sheath. Ah no, ok, I get it. People do that don't they?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The blade will probably clean up well, I've done a couple and the steels good stuff on both. The designs pre Great War and was used into the 80s if I remember right. Have any markings survived?

The issue sheath is indeed a bucket with a stap around the handle to stop it wobbling about. Not a patch on Angsts.

ATB

Tom

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lol countryman....would you like me to do a bad job on yours?....lemme know....its no problem....once i've finished it i'll let my son play 'crashes' with it round the garden for a few days....give it a nice aged look!:cool:

yup perrari, red, bael.....maybe itll inspire him to do it up nicely....but its not his fault...he really did stress to me not to put myself out....i'm seeing him on sunday at the Sustainability Centre Show....it does however have a really sharp edge....and knowing my luck he'll ask me to hilt it next.....

many thanks,

s

ps....yup tom it does seem sorta nice and sharp....but i cant seem to see any marks.....and yup i'd've strapped it too but didnt want a great big black void at the top...wouldve looked awful.

Crikey! Tell him to go buy a proper Machete for that now Sonni!

How can anyone take a piece of crap like that to you for a sheath. Ah no, ok, I get it. People do that don't they?

:)

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Do you hilt as well Sonni? Suppose now would be the time to discuss that before you do the retainer?!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lol omg....noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! that 450 has now gone up to 4500........and yes i noticed your handles nearly coming off but you coulda got Sir Dunc to do that when he sharpened it lolol!!

no...i deny it....i've never hilted a knife in my life:confused:

http://beneaththestars.net/knife-making-shop/knives-ive-hilted/

Do you hilt as well Sonni? Suppose now would be the time to discuss that before you do the retainer?!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE