Sewing help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I am looking for some help, I want to make more of my own gear. Sewing will be needed for a lot of the projects I have in mind. As there are some very competant sewers on the forum I was wondering if you have any tips for a beginner and any book or website recomendations.

Thanks Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I love the sig line :D

Maybe a good place to start would simply to say what you'd like to make ?

From my point of view the first thing I look for before I even thread a needle, is my thimble :)
Sharp scissors, they don't need to be expensive, just sharp. A new pair of cheap wallpaper scissors will do, and for heavens sake buy decent needles.
But the hands down, unbeatable, best advice anyone can give you, is to stop and think about what you are about to do. That and the patience to do the job 'right', even when it means taking out seams and time and again, will be worth it in the long run and show in the quality of work you make.
There are two garments out there that I am ashamed of, and both were done in a rush, without time to correct errors or finish properly. Years later they still bug me even though the owners won't give me them back to finish correctly.

That said, I find it very satisfying when I know that something I have made is being worn because it's 'right' :D I can't get HWMBLT out of his latest wool bushshirt to get it washed so I'm making him another one :rolleyes:

Best of luck with it :D

cheers,
Toddy

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Thanks Toddy, I have a few items that need the seams repairing but I would like to make some wool clothing and do some work with canvas a bed roll type of thing.
I have had nose around on the net but not really found the guides that I want.

Thanks Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would you use a machine or sew by hand ?
Have you sewn anything before ? by that I mean can you sew a seam and use different stitches, or do you need a guide to the possible varieties ?

What clothing would you like to make ? and we could take it from there ?

cheers,
M

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have next to no sewing experience, the last sewing I did was in school when I was 11 and that was a while ago.
I dont have a machine at the moment but its on my list of things to get, simple hand sewing to start with then.
Thanks John I will give you a bell.
Mark

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have next to no sewing experience, the last sewing I did was in school when I was 11 and that was a while ago.
I dont have a machine at the moment but its on my list of things to get, simple hand sewing to start with then.
Thanks John I will give you a bell.
Mark

I find hand sewing a lot harder than machine-ing!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Having spent a beyond frustrated three days while both my sewing machines were not working, I'd rather find a thimble and thread a needle :sigh:
When they work the machines are brilliant, when they're out of true, they drive me to rant and rage. Really not like me.

Glad John's close enough to help Mark :)

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That is why I have 4 machines - 2 ancient electrics, 1 computer controlled, one hand cranked - one of them will always be in working nick!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I struggle finding room for two. Kind of indicative though, isn't it? All these machines we have, just in case one isn't functioning. We wouldn't thole that with any other bit of household machinery yet we take it for granted with sewing machines.

I can always make a needle, I can always spin a thread, therefore I can always sew.

Miserable to hand sew modern waterproof fabrics though, and leatherwork makes my hands ache, so I barter something else I've made for that :)

cheers,
Mary

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I would start with one of those old fashioned `everything within` books of sewing.

I have several like this, the one to hand is the Big Book of Needlecraft published by Odhams. I think it dates from the 50s.

But it has lots in it, explained in a plain style, from Lingerie to leather gloves, to quilts to knitting.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Just give it a go Mark.
Try repairing teh seams on something that is past its best, so it doesn't matter if it has to be done over again. Once you've set foot on the trail, you'll be in with a fighting chance of learing some new words and phrases and trying different techniques to make stronger/flatter/better work.
Compared to many, my home-made stuff is childlike and amateurish - but I'm intensely proud of it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I think Ogri has hit the nail on the head! as long as it works then you can work on the cosmetics the more you do. I have always wanted to do some sewing and have recently thought Stuff it I'm just gonna have a bash, the results were poor but i learnt a lot and my next attempt will be better (I hope)

Dave

The stuff I’ve made has been sewn by hand. As in needle, thread, two fingers. (Two fingers that probably wonder why I’m so mean to them.) Anyone who claims they can’t make or modify what they want because they lack a sewing machine, shouldn’t let that hold them back from what they want to achieve. Remember, mankind clothed and sheltered themselves and carried their goods around for millennia without benefit of sewing machines. (Take a look at the clothing made by the arctic peoples. Awesome doesn't even begin to describe it. There is design and tailoring involved that would put a Saville Row tailor to shame.)

Don’t get me wrong, if I had a machine I would use it, but I don’t (yet). At some point I hope to, but for now, I don’t want that to hold me back from modifying or making stuff to suit my needs. I also spent 4 years of 4 hours a day on the train commuting to work. I tried to use that time as productively as possible, so I got a lot of sewing done.

(I should say that I do have a sewing machine, but I just use it for light stuff - tarps, stuff sacks, quilts and underquilts, soon a hammock. It won’t work for heavy material like Cordura and webbing though.)

I guess I’m just one of those people who is rarely satisfied with stock anything, has an insatiable desire to improve, a compulsion to learn and a drive to make stuff, and adapts to overcome any obstacles.

I use Coats Upholstery thread (far, far better than Guttermans in my opinion) and embroidery needles, also known as crewels. The eye on them is a good size to get coarser thread through. A relatively fine needle like that I found works better than a larger needle. Counterintuitive, but there you have it. Only put a knot in one end of the thread, as that gives you an out if you need it.

Some of those rubber thimbles you find in office supply stores (one for your thumb and one for your forefinger) will aid you in getting a grip on the needle as well. I really don't like metal thimbles. I understand how they work in theory, but just find them awkward. Not to mention that they don’t seem to make them for burly giants.

A pair of needlenose pliers (I use my Leatherman Wave) will also assist you in getting the needle through more difficult areas (usually the outer edges of webbing) or through more built up areas.

When possible, I usually try to staple the webbing on to the material. A dinky little office one won't really cut it, you need a pretty heavy duty stapler. Pins or safety pins don't work very well in cordura and webbing. Binder clips can also be a real boon.

It’s much, much slower than using a machine (obviously). Frankly it’s tedious and boring. But it’s also quite meditative, and it’s one of those activities that I can do in “dead time”. Sitting in the passenger seat of a car, commuting to work, waiting for a client to show, etc. I also always know that I will end up with something very usable at the end, and I’ll also have the tremendous satisfaction of knowing that I made it. It won't be pretty, but it will work. (And I’m not making couturier dresses, but stuff to wander around in the woods with. How it looks isn’t so important.) Everything I’ve done has proven to be very strong. Now mind you I'm not crawling through the rubble of an urban battlefield on a daily basis, but so far my hand sewing has held up very well. I recently took apart something that I had done myself and at the same time took apart something very similar made by a very reputable manufacturer on a machine. The machine made item came apart in seconds. What I had made was a total pain in the bottom to take apart, taking me many minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sandbender, Exploriment is off line just now. If you can tell me how to edit the post to increase the type size I'll give it a go.

cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE