Seeking advice - Lowa mountain boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Guys

I'm seeking advice.

I need a new pair of boots and I am considering a pair of Lowa Mountain Boots. My Brasher boots are about to retire.

So my question is how do you rate them?

I have wide feet “G” fitting and before making the effort to visit a supplier to try them on, I am interested to hear of any user experience.

They need to cope with clay and flint while out with beagles too.

Thanks for any advice

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've had a pair for a good number of years now and I find them extraordinarily comfortable. They are beautifully made and fit my feet perfectly. They've bashed through the Cairngorms, Snowdonia, the Lake District and the Brecon Beacons in all seasons and all conditions and have protected my trotters perfectly. They prompted me to get a pair of Lowa's full-blown mountain climbing boots for the steep and scary moments in the Alps in summer and Scotland in winter. Utterly fab.. If I have a criticism, I'd like them soled in a 'stickier' rubber for those (numerous) occasions when you've got rocks underfoot.

However - and this could be teaching your grandmother to suck eggs - don't go just for the label: try on as wide a range of boots as you can and pick the ones that fit, be they Lowa or someone else's.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Not exactly answering your question but have you looked at Altbergs? I posted a similar thread as my Berghaus fabric/gortex are now leaking (after 5 years) and I've decided to go for leather - I was recommended Altbergs, they look really good. Only trouble is there is a four week wait and I'm impatient.

I am also not sure if i am going to go for waterproof membrane or not. Those with membranes (of any make) are less breathable and take longer to dry out.

They have 5 width fittings (and half sizes) and will make to measure
http://www.altberg.co.uk/.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
KAE 1 is right, the Lowa Mountain boot is Goretex lined which may be fine for some, but i would say it would only really be suitable from late Oct to late Feb, early March. When things start to get warmer and dryer, you may find your feet sweat a little. When the boots are wet, you may find that they sweat a lot more.

Consider this. If you were to wear a gore-tex jacket and then put a soaking wet leather one over the top, do you think it would still be allowed to breathe?

If going for Lowa's i'd recommend Lowa Patrol boots (NOT Combat Boots, these are Goretex lined and have a higher leg). Patrol boots are fantastic, and, if treated with Nikwax Aqueous Wax, will be as proofed as you need. Wear them with gaiters and you need never get your footsies wet again. They are superlatively comfy, supportive, strong, robust and pliant. A pleasure to wear.

Or, if you want to support a British company, do as KAE 1 says and try Altberg. They are a TOP company and will sort you out with whatever manner of dead cow skin you desire.

I am not affiliated with any company i have mentioned, just a VERY experienced user.

After all that, do try boots on before you buy. Wear the sock you intend to use them with and remember, they are going to give a little. Spend as much as you can afford on your boots because your going to want to spend more time in them the better they are, a bad pair of boots can ruin many experiences!

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Just bought a pair of Meindl Magic boots. Tried loads of different types and all seemed tight so I guess my foot is wider than the average. The guys in Blacks recommended Meindl for wide feet and as soon as I tried them on they felt great.
These will get me through til late Autumn, or perhaps later with gaiters, but they are not winter boots. But for instant comfort they are fantastic. I'll go for a 5 miler across the fields in the morning to test em.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I'd recommend trying some Meindl's as well as the Lowa's aswell, they are excellent for wider feet, particuly the non goretex versions, as they have a little more room in, just my experiance with them. Lowa's are excellent boot's though, and my mate lives in his Altberg's all year round as a tree surgeon, 3 yrs old and he rekon's there's still another couple of years left in them.
The golden rule with footwear is to try on as many design's as you can, from different manufacturers, each has numerious last's they use for different models in there range. Any reputable shop will understand that this is the case and you may well go else where to try on other boot's they don't stock, it's your money and boot's have to be right :cool:
Good insoles also make a massive difference in comfort, try sorbothanes(?), superfeet etc you'll be surprised.....but with the thicker versions like sorbo's you'll need to fit them with the boot's as they do take up space, superfeet not so much :)

Scout

Nomad
Aug 30, 2005
Dumfries & Galloway
I've got a pair off Lowa Mountain Boots and i wear them quite a bit. If im going out on the quad to the sheep or shopping in tesco. I've worn them in most weathers and i cant realy fault them.

Cheers for now

Nathan

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Well they say trust is earned and when it comes to Berghaus - they've earned mine. I needed a replacement for my old fabric/suede Explorer GTX and (you will see from this and other threads) I had a good look around at replacements.
I opted for Meindl Magics for summer/autumn but unfortunately these leaked the very next day. Blacks could not replace until they had gone back to Meindl. One week later - no reply from Meindl so I opted for another pair of Berghaus Explorers.
Been out every day this week in em, no probs, this morning a 4 mile walk around sodden wet farm headlands - no probs.
I am sure I was just unlucky with the Meindls and maybe I've just been lucky with the Berghaus but I bet it will take a lot for Freelander to move away from his trusted Brashers.

For winter I think I'll try very well waxed Explorers in leather, at £65 sale price you can't go wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE